Let's post photos of our cows!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by willow_girl, Sep 22, 2004.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Yes, it's possible to load pictures onto this site ... we've all talked about our homestead cows so much, I'd love to see pics of everybody's!

Here are my girls (Little Beefy, the steer, wandered out of this picture just before the shutter clicked! :( ) From L-R are Twister, Dawnna lying down with Libby-Belle standing behind her, and Christine. :)

[​IMG]

Don't know how to upload pics? Really, it's not that hard! First, you'll need to register with a free website that will "store" your pics for you. I chose www.walagata.com because it was really quick and easy! Create an account and upload a pic from your hard drive. Then view the pic, right-click on it, and select 'properties'. Copy (Control+c) the URL (which will start http://mars.walgata.com ... etc.) and paste it into a message here on HT. Finally, highlight the URL and click on the 'picture' tab above, which is yellow with the outline of mountains and the sun! Voila!!!

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Hey, NICE cows! I would love to post a picture of mine, but don't have a digital camera. I'm trying to borrow one from my SIL. In the meantime, I'll enjoy seeing everybody else's. Your Dawnna looks just like my old Mamma Cow.

3. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

Too late! :) "T-Bone" went to slaughter yesterday after having found the road last week!!! :no:

He was a whiteface cross steer who we would have liked to have grown just a litte heavier but...I'm sure he'll taste just fine! :D

It was sooooooooo nice to wakeup this morning and not be afraid to look at the pasture to see if he'd challanged the hot wire fence again! :eek:

4. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Oh they are beautiful willowgirl :D . I look forward to getting some of my own some day.

5. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

It will take me a day or two but I'll dig up the digital camera and post them. Miss Millie will be delighted to show you how purty she is.

Good idea Willow

6. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

And...you can take "regular" pictures and have them developed to disk!

Pretty cows! Are you milking them all?

Now that "Home On The Range" is out on video, has anyone else seen it?! I adore the cows in it. It is a cute movie but, I think we homesteaders can really relate to some of the "attitudes" portrayed in it! :haha:

7. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Beautiful creatures, Willow. I have a few pics on a digital camera that I was going to upload when selling my calf. I'll have to get them here first. I loved being able to see Twister. It's funny how you feel you know them after reading so much about them.

8. KesWindhunter

KesWindhunter Well-Known Member

crossing my fingers to see if this works
    [​IMG]
    a few of the 'girls' and their babies.

9. KesWindhunter

Oh my Gosh! I did it! Obviously this picture was taken in the spring...May. Babies should weigh in around 525# about now...

10. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Thanks ya'll! :)

Now, what kind of cows are those, Kes? Angus? and is the whitefaced one what they call a 'black baldie'? If so, what kind of cross is that?

I know ditley-squat about beef cattle! :haha:

LuckyG, did your steer get hit by a car?!?! :eek:

The neighbor's daughter was trying to 'herd' a stray cow (theirs not mine, thank goodness!) back to the pasture with the pick-up when she ran into it and broke its leg! Whoops! :eek:

They had to put it down ... into the freezer it went!

C'mon folks, don't be shy! Let's see those cows! :)

11. KesWindhunter

Ok, ok! The beeves in the picture are angus and angus/hereford cross. The one with white on her face we call brockel faced (not all white), notice her calf has a little speck of white on its nose!...she (the cow...well, really just turned 2year old with her 1st calf) is prbably 3/4 angus and 1/4 hereford...most of my cows are commercial black angus. All of my bulls are black angus. I really like what the angus breed does out here on this sage brush steppe/shortgrass prairie! (what you are lookin' at is honest to goodness the original native prairie that hasnt really changed much in hundreds of years! No introduced tame grasses in this rangeland.) This is the kind of beef that people eat in real fancy restaraunts!
    Willow_girl, looks like you do lotsa milking! Do you milk by hand, use a milking machine or calves? Twister looks like she has a nice udder attachment. Nice cows!

12. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Thanks for the beef cattle lesson, Kes!

I'm getting off easy in the milking department right now. I just dried Twister off, and Dawn and Christine are almost at the end of their cycles ... their calves will take all their milk if I let them! (Those little milk muggers really need to be weaned!)

I was late in getting these cows bred back so I'm going to have a few milkless months, I'm afraid, but I will have a stanchion system with Surge milkers set up by the time they freshen! No way am I milking all these beasts by hand!

Thank you for the compliments about Twister! I am told she was bred in Georgia and has a full brother who is in the A.I. program. (She is registered.) I'm hoping I can get some valuable heifer calves out of her, so she can earn her keep around here! ;)

Sadly, she hasn't really warmed up to us yet ... she's still very timid and doesn't want to be petted. :(

Dawn and Christine are great big lovebugs, though, especially Teeny who simply HAS to lick your hand (or rather, she sticks her pointy tongue out and just touches you very, very delicately with the tip ... she's a hoot! :D ).

Teeny's mother (who still lives on the farm where I work) gave birth to twin calves last weekend! ... unfortunately they were mixed (heifer & bull). :waa: My boss shipped them on Wednesday ... it was really hard for me to see the heifer go, she was SO CUTE!!!! (All white with black spots, and just the tips of her ears were black.) They were super nice calves, too -- just as big as single births, and healthy and playful! Teeny's mom is in her 4th lactation and is a pretty good cow, so even though she isn't registered, I'm hoping Teeny's offspring will be good girls, too. :)

Dawnna simply LIVES to poop in my husband's workshop (and the neighbor's garage!!!). We were letting her out to free-range in the yard but I have to go around first and make sure all the doors are shut. One day, she came up through the garage and pushed open the door that leads into the house! My husband found her standing in the doorway looking around, I'm pretty sure she would have strolled right in if there hadn't been a step there! :eek:

13. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

There are some great photos. I have not been able to get this to work for me. :confused: :confused:

I do think this was a good idea even if I can't make it work.

14. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Dolly and brand new bull calf, Duncan
    [​IMG]Able (r.i.p.) ancient Milking Devon ox
    [​IMG] Lewis (angus steer calf)
    [​IMG]Daisy, junior heifer
    [​IMG] Ooops, how did he get in there???

15. bantams

bantams Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This is Iris, my 5 year old registered Jersey cow.

[​IMG]
    This is Mo, her calf born in January. He is a Jersey x Milking Shorthorn steer that I am training to be an ox. This photo was taken in July; now his horns are 5 inches long.

16. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

I'll give it a try.......

[​IMG]

17. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Oh I'm so jealous you guys! :waa: I wanna have a cow. What's a farm without a cow. They are all so beautiful. Thanks for posting the pics.

18. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

More gorgeous cows!!!

Is Duncan a Milking Devon cross?

Iris is gorgeous!!! And what a beefy steer! :eek:

Pointer, what kind of cows are those?!

19. dcs13

dcs13 Member

20. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Ok, but my cow is kinda "out there".

[​IMG]