Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't do it too much; I doesnt seem to help mostly.

But right now we are getting us a little icestorm in the Ozarks and I think that it just stinks! Blech.

Everyone drive safe!

~Wendy (who has relatives coming up from TX tonight and is worried)

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
It has been freezing cold here, especially for this time of year and this part of the country. I thought it was supposed to be warmer here than NY! Yesterday the ducks' water was freezing faster than they could empty it, and trust me, those ducks know how to empty water. We were -15 with windchill. It wouldn't bother me if I was still in NY, but I didn't expect it here!

And tomorrow it is supposed to be 50 and rainy. It will be warm enough for me to clean out the shed with the animals, but do I really want to do it in pouring rain?

I miss the consistency of living in a place where it was guaranteed to snow several feet a week every week from Halloween to Memorial Day, and not thaw till late June. This changing weather stuff is driving me crazy!

(And yes everyone, drive safely!)

Kayleigh

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Sure.. I'll whine.
The sun was out the past two days.. the first time in over a week that it wasn't drizzling rain or just pouring.
The sun was nice, but it came with a driving wind and very cold temps.. the ice never thawed in the barn at all yesterday.
It is supposed to warm up a bit... but it's already clouding up to rain again.. and there is rain in the forecast (or a chance of it) for the next 7 days or something stupid like that.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Yep, let's complain---been iced in for two weeks! Fell on my b*** a few times. Had to put lamps on the chickens (one already with pnuemonia here in the house) and the cats! And will have to take the big truck into town to bring the kids (adults actually) in for Christmas dinner (that is IF they don't have to work). Sure would like anything above freezing! Where's that global warming?

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
complain!? if it wasn't for this weather, my area would be crowded with people! I am happy for this weather!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I went to the store today now I keep telling myself how stupid I was. Checked the rader seen I should have a few hours nope before I got the 30 miles north to Mt.Grove it had begin to ice up.
Was in and out of the store fast gassed up on my way home wrecks everywhere so I just slowed it down to about 25-30mph.

did okay on hwy 95 than turned on W a road that no one is ever on solid ice, I did a lot of praying to make it home safe as W has lots of hills and curves. Than turned on my 4 mile long dirt er I mean ICE road almost lost control seems there is no gravel ever left on the road in the winter just slick mud.

·
Premium Member
27,936 Posts
Icy rain falling here right now. For the past 2 months the only time it has been above freezing is so it can rain. I have all kinds of stuff to do outside that can't be done when it is raining or freezing. (well it could be done, but I don't wanna) Baby ducks are in the basement because they can't go out when the temps are 10*F during the day.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey *******......we have freezing rain/sleet/snow coming in BEFORE we warm up tomorrow and if we happen to see 50 degrees I'll eat my hat!!! [ If I had a hat :}]

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
:nana: Oh Oh it is terrible here, It is in the teens at night while we sleep and warms up to 60s-70s during the day. Had rain once this week in the wee hours of the morning so was done by the time we got up :bouncy::bouncy:

Sorry, you said complain not brag

·
Missin Sweet Home Alabama
879 Posts
Sure, I'll join. The snow is so deep I can't walk the dog without wading through thigh deep snow. It is really cutting into her socialization work. They haven't even cleared the sidewalks in town it's so deep.

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tonight it is up to 36*, a lot of good that does, it's dark! The warmest it has been in 4 days. Tomorrow it is supposed to rain/frozen rain/snow (I am sure they are just covering all their bases and guessing!) plus strong WINDS, joy!

Blech, blech and blechity blech!

My dogs are also Not Happy...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sure, I will complain! I have been doing nothing but shoveling, on top of feed and poop control! It has been so cold my nostrils freeze together! I am going to quit shoveling and just sled out the door and down the steps!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Well lets just throw this in the pot also the weatherman just said that on Friday here in the Ozarks we are going to be in the 60's with bad thunderstorms. it was just in the negative numbers with ice.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
I went to my second visitation of the week. First friend died of heart attack while attempting to dig her car out and second lost control of her vehicle and was broadsided. I'm beyond whining, I'm howling.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
I'm sorry to say I'm with Michigan Farmer ... I start complaining about the weather when temperatures get into the high 70s ... and the higher it goes the louder and more profane I get!

I don't like the freezing rain/ice we get here ... and we've had a lot of that this year ... but warmed up last night and THUNDERSTORMS are now predicted today and maybe tomorrow.

I'm sorry ... but for a Montana gal, thunderstorms on Christmas is just WRONG!

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Knowing the roads you speak of, Paula, I'm just glad you made it home safe. My dau and SIL had to take off early on account of the ice, he was following her, in time to see her sliding for a deep ditch!Luckly, it stopped with a wheel on the road, where she could back up. He got called out later, big wreck on 63, but couldnt get far even with chains.
This morning--46 degrees and rain--snow and 32 this afternoon--then possibly tornadoes and 68 Friday. Weather dont get boring in the Ozarks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts