Let the fun begin

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sancraft, Jan 10, 2005.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I got my land and now the real fun begins. We are going up this weekend to start clearing. I'll be using the small pine logs to build and goat barn and a chicken coop. This will be our first big building project. It'll be just me and my two teen daughters, 13 and 16. We are going to do a dry stack method on a concrete block foundation wall to keep the logs off the ground. Once we have that up, we're going to try a driven well. I'm really nervous about this one. But we'll need water and I have no money, so it has to be done. If that does work out, I use a cistern and rainwater catchment system. I don't want to run out of water. There is a creek on the property, so we'll have water for animals and garden. While we're driving the well, we'll also be getting the garden in place. Once we have water, we'll start building our house. I hope to start on the house by mid-Feb.

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

:dance: :dance:
    Yippee! Wish I could help!

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

How exciting! You will be amazed at what the 3 of you can accomplish. Do keep us updated!

4. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :D

I am very happy for you as it has been a VERY long hard road for you it seems.

Where did you finally find land?

I hope all goes well for you as you really do seem to deserve it.

As to water,at first you could haul it in,especially if you have a large tank to store it on the land.You could look to Coca Cola or Pepsi for food grade barrels.

When we were visiting out west rain catchment was the ONLY way to get water as wells were too expensive.

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

if you are using a drivepoint first dig a hole as deep as you can maybee 3 feet fill it with water and keep it with water in it for a while will soften the dirt makes driv ing a point a lot easyer

6. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

Good Luck! wish I could come join in the fun. Take lots of before and after pictures!! A friend of mine who lives in the desert had water hauled for years and years. He was off the grid. For showers he had a 55 gal drum up high on metal legs that would be above your head and a propain burner on the bottom of it to heat that water. A spicket came off that and a garden hose with cold water ran up there to combine the two. No shower walls as no one was in eye sight of his place. He said in the summer he didn't need to heat the water in that drum because the sun did it for him. But you have to remember to fill it every day. The water he had hauled was in a cistern. He did have some solor for lights and the TV. HE only watched the evening news. Mostly used oil lamps. He has two very small trailers pulled beside each othere with the doors facing the middle. Then he built a room between them that was about 20 by 30 with a wood stove. My kids and I just loved spending weekends out there with my friend. It was her father.

7. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I got 19.91 acres in NE GA.

8. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

S--I am so thrilled for you and your girls. You must keep us up to date with your progress. Are you near the "mountains"?

Home Depot here sells 5gal bottles of water. You could rig up devices to use the bottles. If I could find a way to set up a cistern to collect rainwater, I'd do it. Over time, you can get filters and pumps, etc. I just think it would be easier for three women than trying to drill for maybe "iffy" water. There are a variety of ways to set up one of these systems. Bladders can be purchased, there are a number of fiberglass tanks available. There may even be some used, but I would be very careful what was in them previously, and even then have them steam cleaned. The simplest would be to build a pole type structure under which you keep the storage tanks. You build as large a roof as you can, covering it with metal. Use a system of gutters and downspouts to get the water from the roof to the cisterns. You get more that enough rain in GA, that you probably wouldn't need the same capacity tank, as you would need in Phoenix. :haha: Rain water is about as pure as you can get. Some of the gutter systems even have a bypass so that the first water washes off the roof before the clean water goes into the tank. You can see a simple version in the Gardener's Supply catalog, or on its website.

I love elegant solutions to needs we have. If, for instance, you build the south side of your house with as much glass as possible, (think salvage, here. You can't be too far from Atlanta which should have some great salvage yards) you will greatly cut down on heating costs. With proper venting, you can also do a lot of cooling. Plant decidious trees to the south of the windows so it is shady in the summer.

I have a lot of admiration for you all. You have set a goal, and you are making it happen. Don't forget to set aside some $$'s for the taxman :no: Keep him happy and no one can take that land away from you. My very best wishes to you. Wish I were younger, I'd be there in a heartbeat just to participate. Have you thought of having a "barn raising"? Maybe there are some who would also enjoy the party!!

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

with all the fossil fuel being burnt rain water isnt as clean as you might think i would recomend a filter for drinking it acid rain will pit a car

10. Timedess

Timedess Guest

Oh Sancraft, how exciting! And how scary! And how exciting! Your dream is coming true! How exciting!

Take things one project at a time, and don't forget to pray EVERY step of the way! The Lord has held you and guided you this far- He will see you through to a wonderful completion if you keep your eyes on Him and His plan.

I wish we were in your shoes already! Hard work ahead, I know.... but at least you have the land now!

Have I mentioned how exciting this is???? :D

Please please do keep us informed- and do take LOTS of pictures, before, during, and after! They will be priceless to you in later years!

How exciting!!!

:) :D :) :D :)

11. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

yay for you...keep us informed...i for one am very interested in your progress. pics and a diary/journal would be a wonderful way for you to remember and share :D

12. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Congrats. I'm jealous of the amount of land you were able to get. Good for you. I wish I had some time off, I'd come help you. Definately catch all that water that will be coming off of every roofed surface. Get some drums from CocaCola. You'll be glad you did.

13. Jasen

Jasen Member

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!

I think it would be a good idea if you want strange people coming to your property to have some sort of "barn raising" for new land owners...the Amish sure do seem to help each other and it is so much easier when a group of people get together as long as there is no doubt that the landowner is the PERSON IN CHARGE. You should get plenty of rain in GA...I like the climate and the big thunderstorms in summer. I got food grade plastic 55 gal container with a spigot for $20...it took forever to use the water for cooking and cleaning...didnt have a shower hooked to it though. I had a POND...ha hah.
    Do you have a plan laid out for your property yet?

good luck

14. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Since you have a creek, why not use a ram pump to pump water to the garden and the chickens and goats? You can pick one up fairly cheap in the market bulletin. If you use pine logs in GA., they will last about three years before rotting due to the high humidity and soft wood which beetles and termites just love.

Preserve it somehow or you will need to rebuild your chicken house long before you want to. Trust me, been there, done that, had to rebuild. Now we use rough cut lumber, and use an old timey preserving method that actually works. My chicken house is more than 10 years old, and I only have to spray it once every three or four years and it still looks nice.

Good luck and if you need some chickens, I'll give you a couple of flocks to get you started. They are wyndottes and are still laying, but are 18 months old so you may not get as many eggs...but they are big eggs and I can let you have an incubator (I've got three) to hatch some in.

I'm down 85, five minutes from the interstate. If this will help you get started, let me know. I've got too many projects going on and so am not going to keep any chickens this coming year...too much to do, too little time...

Sidepasser

15. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Good LUCK and Best wishes! I just moved onto my homestead but had a cabin of sorts on the place! Just keep plodding thru -- thats what I am doing!

16. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

oh you might want to find a copy of the visual handbook of building and remodeling it will tell and show you how to do everything you will want to do -- and it is very easy to read too! Mine gets used on every single job!