Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking to my Uncle the other night and he told me of a new rule he had for when city people bring their kids out to visit for a day.

"No playing King of the hill on the manure pile!"

I guess the kids where having a real good time untill he told them what it was. Then everyone of them made a bee line for his front door.

What rules do you inform visiting kids or adults of when they come to visit?

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Don't touch the fence.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Don't send your children out to play w/ mine in designer clothes. :rolleyes: They will be ruined.

Watch where your step. You won't get into snakes but you will get into chicken manure.

·
Bovine and Range Nerd
911 Posts
1. Don't step in the cowpies!
2. Don't touch the electric fence. Or pee on it either
3. No child is allowed in the cattle pen, be they alone or with an experienced person. (Though they are allowed in if they stay in the cab or in the back of the truck) When they're older and more responsible, they're to enter at their own discretion, but to remember to follow orders and words of caution from a more experienced cattle-person IF they decide to enter.
4. Always let the driver (on the tractor or grain truck) know where you are or be where he/she can see you.
5. Never lick the iron panels when it's 20 below.
6. Stay clear of running machinery, such as - don't touch the pick-up end of a running auger, with either hand or foot
- don't grab a running PTO shaft
7. DO NOT climb the grain bins
8. Anything else I missed?

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
When I say it's time to go home it's time to go home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
bill in oh said:
Don't pee on the electric fence....

To this day my dad says I did that only once...I must have deleted it from my hard drive because I don't remember doing it. I remember touching them with sticks and green weeds and even grabbing hold bare handed...

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
If you go through a gate, close it and latch it behind you.

Don't rearrange the hay bales in the mow without my express permission.

Rams are called rams because that is what they do. Stay out of their paddock.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Advice I gave my oldest son when going to the local 'cut your own tree' farm: It's December, you are here to cut a Christmas tree. This is a pasture when they aren't cutting trees. Those are NOT turtles on the ground in the snow---drop it!!

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
If you walk through the garden, stay on the paths and don't touch any of the plants.

Stay out of the buck pen.

Watch out for stickers if you take your shoes off (my nieces are used to going barefoot at home).

Other rules depend on the child -- some children are well-behaved and will ask before doing things, others aren't.

Kathleen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts