Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lentil price jump........ugghhh

i bought some lentils last week....92 cents a pound...this week....$1.67....i about croaked.

i mean what the :censored:

Reactions: Twp.Tom and partndn

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont know 7thswan....i bought all they had....10-1 pound bags last week to fill a LT bucket so i needed more to finish it off...i aint paying that till i look around a bit more.

right now the cheapest dried good of this type is $1.08....i wonder how long that will last...this is price of small red bean.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
The retailers excuse, and it has some merit, is that the lentil crop in western Canada (we grow the vast majority of North American lentils, right here in Saskatchewan),has been deplorable this year. Lots of acres were write-offs due to excessive moisture and lack of "global warming" heat units.

Lentils need warm and NOT wet. They had cool and damp all year long, so the yields were grossly affected.

BTW, the farmer gets about 20 to 30 cents a lb. up here.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Thanks Farmer Dale for giving us a better view 1st hand. Is there no way the farmers could realistically market them themselves?
It is the conundrum of being a commodities farmer. What is as common as air up here, wheat, barley, oats, flax ,peas, etc., is sought after elsewhere, big time. I think there is a way, I am working on that actually, thanks to seeing what folks pay for our cheap commodities down in the US.

I would dearly love to clean and put in buckets, several of my sought after crops, and drive them down to some parking lot on the eastern seaboard, or Seattle, or So Cal., and sell them all winter long! A warm vacation, while making 5 to 10 times the money as I can get from these products at home...Heck, I could sell the stuff for half of what you folks pay for some of this stuff, and still gross triple or quadruple what we get here!

Maybe I could hitch a ride south with the South Carolina goose hunters! They could leave their decoys up here, and we could fill their trailers with Hard Red Spring wheat! Migrate like a goose.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
$1.67? It doesn't seem it was long ago I was paying .49 lb. for them. I bought a lot to start making Scotch Broth, but never got around to making the mix. Maybe mine have been in storage longer than I thought... Time to check on things and be sure they are still sealed and safe.

·
"Slick"
2,385 Posts
And part of the price increase is also caused by the hidden inflation of the USD, due to its worthlessness.

Sure, electronics get cheaper, but you can't eat them. Ah well, just entertain the masses and they won't notice.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I will be shopping tomorrow and I've made a mental note to check the price of the lentils. I've got plenty lentils stocked up on, but now I'm just curious as to how much the price has jumped in our area.

·
acrebound
1,252 Posts
last week at Walmart I noticed that they had all their lentils on clearance. For a one pound bag I paid 50 cents. I bought all that they had on the shelf. I guess they are not going to carry them any more.

·
"Slick"
2,385 Posts
Whoa, nice score there Debbie. I do all my shopping in the clearance/markdown aisles. It really can make a difference in pricing.

Are you going to vacuum seal them in canning jars or bags?

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Price isn't the only factor for me. Well, it is for most things but once I tried the Palouse Brand of lentils(and split peas/beans) carried by Amazon I realized how awful the old stale dusty lentils I got at the grocery really tasted! They have a trial selection worth a try. We aren't vegans but don't eat much meat so taste is a biggie and once you try their product it will be hard to go back. Split pea soup is a big favorite along with African stew with garbonzo beans....learned they cook fast when not old and dry from the grocery. Just my 2cents on something I've found to be worth a little extra $$$.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts