Leicester Longwool

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by southernyankee, Nov 1, 2006.

1. southernyankee

southernyankee New Member

What is the running cost of this breed? For rams, Ewes,lambs and wethers?

2. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

humm..... I don't know about the long wools, but my Border Leicesters I get $150~$200 each. There are 3 types of Leicesters with the long wools having the corser wool, Borders in the midddle and Blueface being the finest. (However, we are lucky enough to have such a fine wool ram, that when I shear him, and of the second-cuts seem to fly up in your face with just the lightest of breezes.) It freaked me out the first time I sheared him. I had to ask my wife if that was supposed to happen? I'm considering having his wool clip micron checked. My wife is very happy with his wool.

3. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

When I looked into them last year, there was a long waiting list and the price was $700 and up. We are in the NE.

4. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I've spun both blue face Border Leicesters (roving form) & Leicester Longwools (2 separate fleeces I prepared). Could have been just the preparation method of the sheep themselves but the longwools were a much finer wool than the BF

5. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Hi! Just curious - do you mean Bluefaced Leicester, or Border Leicester fleece? Bluefaced Leicester is by far the finest of the Leicesters. I've not had any micron testing done on my flock yet, but some of the other breeders I know have, and their fleeces are testing in the 22-25 micron range - which is actually in the upper end of the finewool range. Border Leicesters are in the 30-35 micron range, and the Leicester Longwool is in the 32-38 micron range.
    One thing to keep in mind.....the commercially prepared roving(top) that is commonly sold in the US is imported from England. This is not necessarily purebred BFL - the fleeces are graded there, and anything that fits the commercial description is classed as BFL and used in the roving. Hopefully you'll try a fleece directly from a breeder, and get a chance to spin from a true, purebred BFL. I'd be happy to send you a sample of a fleece and roving prepared by Wooly Knob of Indiana. :)

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

6. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure now. The roving I got was marked BFL, the fleeces are a Leicester, staple length 6"-7" in beautiful greys. Very heavy grease but wonderfully soft.