Leggy Spiderplant ??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by xoxoGOATSxoxo, Oct 30, 2006.

1. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I have a spiderplant that I pinched off the momma plant last November. It has gown quite a bit since then. I recently aquired a new spiderplant of the same kind, and it is alot more bushy and green. My old one is much paler with softer leaves, and is pretty lanky. How can I encourage it to be bushier and greener, beacause next to the new one which is about the same size, it looks awfully unhealthy. I feed it every 3 weeks. Should I feed it more often?

I couldn't use the method of rooting it by staking it to soil, because I got it from my library. :) Is this why it's not doing so well? The leaf tips are a bit brown too, but I know this is common in spider plants.

2. Nellie

Nellie Well-Known Member

I use the Schultz liquid plant fertilizer every time I water my houseplants (weekly, unless I forget, lol). Spider plants don't seem to like to get dried out.

3. Karenrbw

Karenrbw Well-Known Member Supporter

Brown leaf tips (tip burn) indicates either low humidity or too much fertilizer. If they are in the house during the winter, the humidity is probably to blame. Don't fertilize during the winter, as even plants in the house experience slowed growth and can't utilize the fertilizer.
    Low light contributes to a pale and leggy appearance. If this is the reason, the new spider plant will start to look more like the older one. Try moving them to a window area with more sunlight.

4. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Well, they are in the sunroom, which is all windows on 3 sides, so I'm gonna guess light is not the problem...:)

Our house is usually pretty dry, but with all the rain we've been having, that could be it, maybe. Or I oculd just be fertilizing it too much. I'm stopping today, because I think of November as winter. I start fertilizing again at the end of March.