leftover storage tip

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Jun 6, 2004.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

hi: we seem to have the same type of leftovers over and over! unfortuantely we store these in opaque containers and are forever thinking we dont neet margarine only to find out it was really pasta sauce leftovers! So..... i printed up a sheet of small labels on my computer with stuff like pasta sauce, sloppy joe, vegetables soup etc. put it on the fridge with a magnet. now when i stick leftovers in a solid colored container i grab the appropriate label, plaster it on top and never run out of margarine!

2. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Great idea! I'll betcha there are a lot of us who put leftovers in the fridge only to discover them some time later when it's way past edible.
    It's a good idea also to keep a bowl in the freezer for veggie leftovers to later add to soup, but, I don't always remember to do it.

3. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

I like the ready-made labels idea. My contribution to the problem of "stale, oldy, moldy" food is to keep a marking pen in the kitchen so whenever I open a box or put anything into fridge or freezer, I can date it. So when I look at the date I can decide: "if in doubt, throw it out" or just eat it. Just burns me when I forget to do it and have to toss it.

Nappy

4. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I'm still getting ribbed about the time I brought leftovers to work in a margarine tub and popped it in the microwave after loosening the lid, but did not have time to check the contents. Turned out to actually be the margarine and there I was with margarine soup!

5. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

I have a bucket in my freezer that all leftovers go into. Otherwise i will happily fill up my fridge with little tupperware, leftover yogurt containers, ziploc bags...

Then, when it's full, or I'm feeling adventurous, I take it out, mix it with some cheese and egg and throw it into a casserole dish.

usually it's pretty good.

sometimes it horrid.

it's a mystery all the time!!!