Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the feet swelling thread, but thought I'd start another as not to hijack.

Lately, my left leg has been swelling really bad. Even my left foot. The right one may a little, but is not as noticeable. I can feel sort of a twang in it once in a while, like normally after a lot of excersize.

Should I look for something like the vitamins or what? Anybody else ever have this problem? I hate to go to the Dr.'s too.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
I hope someone has a magical answer for you. I've had this problem for the last 3 yrs. It started with the left leg, and now the right will swell also, though not as bad. There have been a few times the left leg and foot were so swollen the skin would 'weep'. That's very scary and uncomfortable.

I've had tests done twice now. I have no blockage, circulation is fine, in fact 'strong'. Excellent heart function. No chf.

There is something here the doctors are missing. And I hate going to doctors. My current doc says stay off my feet and get more exercise, what? Seldom do I get up in the morning that my ankle area is not already swollen, so 'staying off my feet' isn't very effective.

Halo

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can not tell you what is going on, one I am not a licensed medical provider nor can a person really be diagnosed imo online with so few tidbits.

The first thing I thought was the heart, but it appears you have seek advice and that does not seem to be the issue. I can think if a few things, but I am sure maybe you doctor ruled those items out? So, maybe a vein scan on your legs? sometimes the upper veins collapse or just really never worked right.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Also, maybe if your on your feet to much and have a vein issue or just chronic selling for no reason might be time to get compression stockings.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Yldrosie said:
Doctors! How do you stay off your feet AND get more exercise? Do sit ups in bed?
Just guessing, but maybe the doctor is recommending getting exercise (leg muscles get used, circulation is brisk, blood gets pumped along) but avoiding prolonged standing (leg muscles aren't used, less circulation, blood pools).

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
Sorry Yldrosie, I seemed to have highjacked your thread. But it seems we are still on topic so maybe you will pick up some info too.

ajaxlucy said....
So, maybe a vein scan on your legs? sometimes the upper veins collapse or just really never worked right.

Wouldn't the test I had tell that story? Most recent was a us ext venous (uterlatal) at the radiology lab. I had the same tests 2 yrs ago.

I can't figure why there is swelling when I wake up in the morning either, normal fluid retention swelling should have gone down over night and I don't have any recent injuries to account for it.

Halo

·
Registered
65 Posts
Surface test or Deep test?

Like i said I am not licensed. I am only making some suggestions to discuss with a doctor.

Kidney issues can also show up as leg swelling issues, and diabetes...A lot of possibilities.

Compression Socks just might do the trick. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, mine is not from lack of excercise. I'm going from dawn til dusk. Still swells, doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
StinkerBell said:
Surface test or Deep test?

Like i said I am not licensed. I am only making some suggestions to discuss with a doctor.

Kidney issues can also show up as leg swelling issues, and diabetes...A lot of possibilities.

Compression Socks just might do the trick. Just a suggestion.
Deep vein test. But I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes. Exactly how does that effect it?
And no, I don't get enough exercise because I have old injuries in both my knees.

Yldrosie - how is your water intake? I ask because someone once suggested I might not be drinking enough water. I drink plenty but it is not nearly the amount I used to drink. For years I drank nothing at all but water, now I have tea, and sometimes juice and milk.

I don't have any problems with kidney function, no blood pressure issues either. I do have a womb full of lemon-sized fibroids they make emptying the bladder difficult.

The doctor has never suggested compression socks.
I do have a presciption for a diuretic, I don't use it except in extreme cases, it leaves me with muscles cramps for days. I tried dandelion without much success.

Thanks for all the imput, please keep throwing out suggestions. Edema seems to be a common problem and any new information can help us be more informed.

Halo

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
The most immediately dangerous thing this could be is a deep vein thrombosis. These are dangerous because if they break loose they can become a saddle embolus and kill you. For this reason anyone newly developing this problem should see a doctor to rule out this possibility. The test for it is an ultrasound of the affected leg.

Once that is ruled out there are a ton of other possible causes. For diabetics, nerve dysfunction is possible, including autonomic nerves. This can be an early sign of the pain syndrome I have, complex regional pain syndrome (formerly 'reflex sympathetic dystrophy). But it can be isolated autonomic nerve dysfunction without a pain component. Exercise should help either of these.

Really the best solution is to have a practitioner figure out what is going on. Then choose between allopathic and naturopathic approaches *once you know what is going on*. It would be unfortunate to think it was kidney or heart failure when it was an abdomenal malignant tumor, or a benign fibroid, occluding the veinous return on that side, or if it was a DVT and it later broke loose to kill you.

Seeing an allopath will at least rule out the things that are immediately dangerous.

Don't forget filariasis if you have any history of travel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts