Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Wife and Son had a Business Meeting today decided to have it at the State Park and had me BBQ Burgers and Hot Dogs.

They got Match Light Charcoal :confused: I put some in the Grill lit it and let it burn down. Put Burgers and Hot Dogs on, Burgers were doing pretty good Hot Dogs, not so.

Decided it wasn't hot enough. So put some more Charcoal on it, :rolleyes: Well not burning. Lite it, then too much fire :eek: , didn't have water so put ice on it.

I tasted, told my wife it tasted very Bad, could taste the Lighter Fluid in the Meat. Went ahead and served it. Everyone was bragging on how good it was. :hrm:

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
25,223 Posts
Whenever you add Matchlite charcoal to a fire under already cooking meat it gives the meat that charcoal starter taste. BLECH! I agree with you, bad taste. Some people just don't know better. Dh and his brothers always want more fire so they squirt starter fluid on the burning coals. We don't grill because of it.

But I do miss properly grilled burgers and hot dogs. Bratwurst on the grill is the best! Ds and I have been thinking about getting a grill and hiding it so dh can't use it.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,207 Posts
I know the whole medical field's cautions about cooking over fire, I think the THOUSANDS of years of cooking over fires in caves, outside the teepees and wikiups, and on the migrations of the nomads counterbalances the so-called modern knowledge. I don't worry about it. Just my dos pesos.

·
Registered
857 Posts
wether gas or charcoal or wood,grill rack/top goes on after fire gets going.i'll cook with all 3-depending on what getting cooked.beef=hot dry wood fire-then throw green maple shingle type slabs on.watch that green smoke roll right up into the meat!chicken gets charcoal,everything else-propane.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well at home I use propane most time. There we ddidn't have wood and my gas grill is too big.

big rockpile

1 - 8 of 8 Posts