Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using LED's exclusively? How do you like them? Are you using less, more, the same? Outside or inside?

and...

Note to self: Never laugh at people who are decorating in October here in the snow belt for Christmas. With the snow we have, it's going to be a real battle to put up any decorations outside.

·
Premium Member
27,945 Posts
Not as Christmas lights but as an entry light in ds's new house. The house needs some remodeling including an inside light switch at the front door instead of 15 feet away. The brightness is pretty good, the white lights are more blue than white. Cost was good. We bought more for the bedroom and some to use in our crawlspace. Those haven't been put up yet but we did plug them in. 90 light strands are bright! Got the 90's as a 2 pack of 180 lights at Sam's Club. The small set (50 lights in the living room) was purchased at Big Lots.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
seedspreader there is a really good reason why I bought lights on white wire and clips that snap into the siding. I can leave my lights up all year and not have to worry about winter weather. Unless your standing directly under the overhang and look up you can't even see them.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
We have one string of C9s that we use on the eave of the house but everything else is LED. I'd replace the C9s too, but there are unique round globe type bulbs that really stand out. We wrap 4 large pine tree trunks, an Arbor Vitae (looks like a roundish 10 ft tall Christmas tree) and three sections of a split rail fence. Our guilty pleasure (risky admission considering it's not a "frugal" item) is a six station light sequencer that flashes the lights in sequence to pre-recorded music.

The LEDs have allowed us to add more lights for the sequencer without increasing the demand on the electric circuits. This leaves plenty of "juice" for all the blow up figure DH has amassed, such as the Santa and sled pulled by Rudolph that stands about 13" when inflated. Come November, when DH starts putting up the lights, I call him "Grizzy", short for Clark Griswald of National Lampoon movie fame ;)

Oh, and for the record; I have nothing to do with the Christmas display, that's all DH's fault!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
We tried LED's 2 years ago. Didn't want to use them again. The LED's are prewired to the line and not replaceable like bulbs. Some of them shattered when used outside even though the lights are rated for exterior use. No way to replace them so we had to cover them with electrical tape. Slightly less bright than a normal bulb, and it seemed that the wire was harder to work with when hanging them on the clips.

Last year we went back to regular miniature bulbs and they went up fairly easily and could be easily replaced when the broke or went out.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
We tried LED's 2 years ago. Didn't want to use them again. The LED's are prewired to the line and not replaceable like bulbs.
Our first 30 or so boxes (yep, we've got lots o' lights) were purchased 2 Christmases ago and you are correct, they are wired in. The ones we bought last year (ain't going to admit to how many more boxes) including the C7 size we got for my mother have replaceable bulbs. I've not seen the bulbs sold separately yet, but each strand came with several spares. It's a great point though, to check and see if the particular strings one is looking at has replaceable bulbs or not.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
3 years ago, I bought 2 large undecorated outdoor wreaths and a garland for the front of the house. These have LED lights that run off a battery pack and a timer. The lights aren't bright, but I like that they're not flashy, since they're up year round. I also have 2 solar light strings that I haven't yet put on the small tree out front. I'm getting to that one of these days. :(

As DH and I both aren't spring chickens anymore, we're always on the lookout to make life easier, and this was a good move toward that.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
I like LEDs for some applications in decorating for Christmas, but the colors always seem so COLD to me. The white is more...blueish. so I'll use the battery LED strings for wreaths, for around windows or on the mantle where a cord to the outlet would show, but for normal decorating, I still use good old filament lights :)

I do like the LEDs for that purpose. We're using more and more lights in areas that don't have an easily accessible electrical outlet. I'll be able to put up lights out on the property (offgrid, generator/solar battery ) without worrying about using too much of the battery storage.

Using a solar powered set of "walkway" lights and converting them into using DC christmas lights. Well, I'm trying it, anyway. We'll see how it works out. Prototype shows promise. turns on at dusk, off a few hours later.(runs out of juice)

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
That IS one thing about LEDS; the colors are very clear, there is none of the warm yellow of the incandescents. The first LED strand we bought is one of those kinds that fades color, from blue to white and back again. There is just something about the color, I can't put my finger on it, that makes it hard to look at.

For indoor decorating I stick with the incandescents because of the warm colors that Wisconsin Ann referred to. But outside... we're working towards all LED.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I just bought C9 LED lights and put them up during some decent weather. They came with replacement bulbs. The string of lights are multi-colored, but diffently have a "blue hue" to them - which we kind of like. They are definitely bright enough.

I like the idea of using less energy and although I wouldn't do it, I can connect 49 strings of lights at a time.

I'll have a better idea how much I like/dislike after Thanksgiving when I turn them on for longer than just a test.

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
I don't use lights on the outside of my house, but I love LEDs inside! They're not the same color as the old kind. They are a whitish blue, exactly like starlight :D I love them and I'm switching to all LEDs this year.

:coffee: RedTartan

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
We've used LED light strings on our indoor tree for several years. I like them because the whole string doesn't go out if one bulb fails. And they don't get hot and make me worry about a fire. Plus they last about 20 years, according to the consumers who rate them.

We don't hang any outdoor lights.

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
I ordered my 55-60 watt equivalent 94 LED light bulb in warm white from www.ledliquidatorsinc.com for 19.99 apiece. I LOVE mine and am getting more next payday! They are exactly the same shape as a 60 watt incandescent bulb and I forget whether it is 5 or 7 watts each bulb pulls.
Can only use in non-dimmer applications, tho.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Note to self: Never laugh at people who are decorating in October here in the snow belt for Christmas. With the snow we have, it's going to be a real battle to put up any decorations outside.
DH and I were just discussing this as we noted the Christmas lights up tonight. We had a nice warm spell a bit back that would have been a great time to put up lights. It seemed too early then. Now it is too cold and we'll probably not get them up again as so often happens. Ah well, I guess we've saved both time and money that way! :eek:

·
Registered
763 Posts
I would never criticize somone for putting up Christmas lights early.... I just hate when they turn them on a week before Thanksgiving. It is not wonder people forget about Thanksgiving. Kids must think that they are coming for a "pre - Christmas" Meal!

·
Unreality star
9,894 Posts
Plus they last about 20 years, according to the consumers who rate them.

We don't hang any outdoor lights.
How do they know they last for 20 years, when they have only been out 2 or 3? :confused:

·
Premium Member
21,536 Posts
We've used LED Christmas lights for the past 6 years out of necessity (off-grid). Now that we're grid-tied, I'm kind of excited that I can get some regular mini-lights. Why? The colors. I miss the prettier jewel toned colors of the regular mini lights. I was perfectly happy with the LED's when there wasn;t a choice though. I'll take the scads of them that we have this year and put them on the cabin and the new cedar barn near the cabin.
Oh yeah...we've found that they don't last as long as claimed. The wiring goes before the bulbs do. I've had to buy plenty of new ones.

·
Premium Member
21,536 Posts
How do they know they last for 20 years, when they have only been out 2 or 3? :confused:
They've been out at least 6 years because that's how long we've been using them. They were harder to find back then. I know Backwoods Solar was selling them for an arm and a leg. We found our original LED lights on sale at a grocery store because apparently no one knew what they were!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts