Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.................I watch a lot of YTube Vids , some of which have , in my opinion , absolutely Stupid Central Theme's ! I never use to comment , but now I started leaving rather strong comments that usually P's Off the Actors in the Vids . The best part is I can use unedited language I could never use on HST . If , I would say something like ......."Oh Man" , "What a Knaurlly(sp) Project".......wish I could have thought of that ! But , instead , I said something like........What an idiotic idea.......you're just wasting our time ! Then , I laugh out loud when they tell me to Go to H___! They , seem to be very thin skinned , but , they can always close their vids to comments . , fordy:banana:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Oh .... ahhh .... ummm .....

If I correctly understand what you say you're doing then I believe that's what's called being a mean troll and a cyber-bully to people online who don't know you and never did you any harm.

I don't understand why you would laugh at them or get any satisfaction out of being mean and abusive and saying rude things to strangers on the web. I don't think that kind of abusive behaviour is anything to brag about or be proud of.

If you don't like their videos what's wrong with just saying nothing and ignoring them? At the very least if you have to say something to them why get your chuckles out of using strong language?

Just because you can use strong language doesn't mean you should and using strong language only makes people look small and ignorant and immature.

:hammer:

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh .... ahhh .... ummm .....

If I correctly understand what you say you're doing then I believe that's what's called being a mean troll and a cyber-bully to people online who don't know you and never did you any harm.

I don't understand why you would laugh at them or get any satisfaction out of being mean and saying rude things to strangers on the web. I don't think that kind of behaviour is anything to brag about or be proud of.

If you don't like their videos what's wrong with just saying nothing and ignoring them? At the very least if you have to say something to them why get your chuckles out of using strong language?

Just because you can use strong language doesn't mean you should and using strong language only makes people look small and ignorant and immature.

:hammer:
...............I'm not trolling..........they produce video's that don't pass the smell test.........they allow comments , So I respond ! I'm not using 4 letter words necessarily.......I just tell them why I think their video is Dumb . I have posted a lot more positive responses than negative . IF , the major networks were to allow comments on some of their TV programs it would be the same thing..............they would get a real strong dose of reality about why the public viewing audience doesn't care for some of their idiotic shows . , fordy

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would you seek out idiotic vids and comment on them?
............Actually , I'm not seeking stupid vids , I do a google search for a subject like.......Rebuilding old pickups , and all kinds of video's pop up . You never know what kind of content is contained until you choose one and view it . , fordy

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Well that's different. I found " pranking" vids by chance. Some of them are hilarious.
The comments get pretty rough

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that's different. I found " pranking" vids by chance. Some of them are hilarious.
The comments get pretty rough
.............People have NO idea the absolute variety of subjects that people have posted on You Tube . The whole world is right there at your finger tips depending on what subject your searching for ! , fordy

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I try but don't always succeed. Sometimes my mouth gets ahead of my brain.

Just think about how you would feel if you found out that your comment was the last thing they read before committing suicide. When someone is on the edge, it only takes one tiny push. :(

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I try but don't always succeed. Sometimes my mouth gets ahead of my brain.

Just think about how you would feel if you found out that your comment was the last thing they read before committing suicide. When someone is on the edge, it only takes one tiny push. :(
For sure. I can't believe someone would be following and searching out YT just to leave messages even IF that video is not what they agree with. Wow.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Buffy, there are times when strong negative responses are appropriate. Specifically, some people have little or no concept of dangers and consequences, but post "advice" that will get innocent people into trouble. A mild example is a woman who posted a video on how to remove kitchen trim in her rental apartment and make her counters look like marble countertops by using contact paper. Letting such idiocy go unchallenged is socially irresponsible.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
yes there are times to make comments if content is wrong or could harm but to just start to spew smack talk is just plain bad manners and unnecessary. Lack of manners and common courtesy is why there are so many conflicts. I would say there is too much time on peoples hands if that is the idea of good "sport" these days. Shame on you. People have committed suicide from comments that are of no help and are bullying. Is that your goal? Bravo.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
yes there are times to make comments if content is wrong or could harm but to just start to spew smack talk is just plain bad manners and unnecessary. Lack of manners and common courtesy is why there are so many conflicts. I would say there is too much time on peoples hands if that is the idea of good "sport" these days. Shame on you. People have committed suicide from comments that are of no help and are bullying. Is that your goal? Bravo.
I understand your point, and in large part agree - the idea of denigrating others as "sport" is uncouth and destructive overall. However, there are those who get involved within their own personal dramas and fantasy worlds to the extent that any broader picture is lost, and any attempt to challenge is seen as threat or "rude" or even racist. I run across that all the time. One can stand by and watch someone repeatedly hammer their thumb trying to drive a nail and experience pain and scream bad words, or one can have excellent manners and say "I'm sorry you did that, that must hurt." or one can attempt to teach how to hold the nail and hammer so the event doesn't recur. Many people get upset when it is suggested they might be holding a hammer incorrectly - especially if you have to metaphorically rip the hammer out of their hands to stop the cycle of destruction and allow them space to think.

I disagree strongly with your comment "Lack of manners and common courtesy is why there are so many conflicts." Historically, the primary purpose of "manners" was strict enforcement of social caste systems. Manners are generally based upon a "power over" stance rather than coming from mutual respect and tolerance. The South was perhaps the epitome of manners and grace, and those attributes were part and parcel to segregation and the institutionalization of a servant class. Edwardian England used manners to strictly enforce a tight class and caste system to the disadvantage of all but a privileged few, who then had other burdens placed upon them. Manners can be horribly destructive.

Mutual respect and tolerance are the real underpinnings of existence with minimal conflict, and that lesson is usually lost in any society that tends to hold heroes and villains or take extreme pride in militaristic institutions.

"People have committed suicide..." Again, I see and more or less agree with your point, but it is nowhere near that simplistic a cause and effect. Many people are extremely vulnerable, for various reasons. A young person who finds his or herself ostracized from peers can be particularly ungrounded and unstable. Someone who has constructed a belief system that is at odds with objective reality can be at risk. A person who is distracted by personal conflicts may make poor judgments. It behooves us to make allowances and tread gently to allow these folks to reach more stable footing.

However, the idea that a visual or written communication "CAUSES" the suicide is incorrect. The underlying problem within the person and the decision-making within the person is the ultimate cause of the act.

It is important to keep that distinction both morally and legally. If you have ever known or interacted with a person who eventually committed suicide, in some way you have contributed to the event. It may have been unknowing, or it may have been a word or two at the wrong time and totally outside of your knowledge. However, you no more bear ultimate responsibility for the suicide than you bear the responsibility for the wealth of a friend who has somehow made excellent financial decisions. Both attributions are ego inflation.

Ultimately, it boils down to personal responsibility, which is core to both the moral and legal frameworks of any society that is even marginally civilized.

·
Dallas
13,851 Posts
.................I watch a lot of YTube Vids , some of which have , in my opinion , absolutely Stupid Central Theme's ! I never use to comment , but now I started leaving rather strong comments that usually P's Off the Actors in the Vids . The best part is I can use unedited language I could never use on HST . If , I would say something like ......."Oh Man" , "What a Knaurlly(sp) Project".......wish I could have thought of that ! But , instead , I said something like........What an idiotic idea.......you're just wasting our time ! Then , I laugh out loud when they tell me to Go to H___! They , seem to be very thin skinned , but , they can always close their vids to comments . , fordy:banana:
And this does what for you? make you feel good? :facepalm:

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And this does what for you? make you feel good? :facepalm:

..............I guess I didn't give a very good explanation of what My point was ! I made it sound like I was a mean person or some such thing , which , I'm really not ! First off these people are not 3rd. graders , they're grown adults making video's on all kinds of subjects . All , I'm doing is commenting on the subject matter , either positively . OR negatively , each scenario is unique unto itself .
..............IF , there are a Crazies on You tube , and I don't doubt that there are , Then It's YT's responsibility to screen them before their content is published for general consumption , and comment ! I only compared my responses on HST to YT because I can Phrase my responses in a little stronger format when the 'Be Nice' doctrine isn't in force . I AM NOT , telling these folks they worthless , or Cussing at them , or any such type comments . So , if that is what you(generic) think , then , You are just wrong ! So , you'll can stick your pitchforks in me all you want to , but I'll live through that , Too . , fordy

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
And this proves anybody can justify any behavior and make it seem legit. Narcissism at its finest.
I agree. Making and posting a youtube video about something that one knows NOTHING about and then expecting people to laud it IS narcissism at its finest. Not expecting negative comments is going the extra mile to insure it is at its finest. :D

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I AM NOT , telling these folks they worthless , or Cussing at them , or any such type comments . fordy
As long as you are giving them feedback in a positive way, like explaining why it won't work or how they could get hurt, it's ok.

I sometimes give feedback. I usually phrase it "if it was me I would...because...".

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As long as you are giving them feedback in a positive way, like explaining why it won't work or how they could get hurt, it's ok.

I sometimes give feedback. I usually phrase it "if it was me I would...because...".
...............Buffy , I'm not as diplomatic as you are , because I usually just say what's on my mind . In the future , I'm going to just offer positive , helpful feedback or say nothing . I appreciate your criticism , and I will be less forthright in my evaluations . , fordy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts