Leaving Jersey heifer on cow?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by quailkeeper, Apr 18, 2005.

1. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

I've read somewhere that you shouldn't leave a Jersey heifer on the cow because of overeating or something. I have a Jersey that will calve in Jan. and she is bred to an Angus. Is this true for the crosses as well? Should I just bottle feed it (assuming its a heifer). Thanks!!

2. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

I've left my new heifer on mom for a month now with no problems what so ever except a decline in milk for our use. Of course she's drinking more then I would give her if she was a bottle baby but I have not seen her nursing non stop and I'm still getting 4 gallons a day from Millie. She will eat grain with mom while I'm milking or bother the heck out of me but she is healthy as can be and growing like a weed.

Jim in MO

3. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

I've read the same thing. I think it would only pertain to commercial dairies where the cows will be pushed to their absolute max. production. They say if the heifers are left on the cow they will get fat, their udder will have fatty tissue in it and so they won't produce the max amt when they mature. I don't know if that's just a theory or a proven fact. We've always left the calves on mom till we need to wean them - usually at least 5 months, often longer for milking convenience. They don't get hugely fat, but we don't feed them either, they get milk and pasture (hay in winter.) Their milk production has been fine when they freshen.

4. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Just our experience but we left our JerseyXAngus cross heifer on her mother (Jersey) and she is now a very nice looking three year old who has given us 2 bull calves. We were just commenting on how nice she looked this year. I would make sure to work with her if you are raising her as a replacement milker so that she is used to being handled etc.