Leavin it all behind for the woods.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Valduare, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Valduare

Valduare Well-Known Member

If you had a chance to leave it all and live in the woods, whould you?

say you set out to find a small moutian town consisting of a post office. general store. tavern. set out from there and built your place without anyone knowing. what are your thoughts.

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome Valduare. I don't know about living in the woods, simply because growing my own food is so important to me. I sure can relate to wanting to get away from everyone and be left alone. I've felt this way since I was 16 years old! Right now I live on 5 acres, about 2 miles from a main road. No one ever "drops by", but I do invite friends over once in a while. I have my privacy, my critters; most everything I've ever wanted, actually. Could I live in the woods? You betcha. Hang around here for a while 'cause I think you'll fit right in.

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

We did. Our closest neighbors are 1/4 mile away through the woods. We had a pond dug and stocked it with rainbow trout. About three acres of our 45 are cleared for pasture, garden, pond, house, yard. There's a mom and pop store that also houses the post office and has a gas pump in the next town. The school has 40ish kids from kindergarten through eighth grade. It's a nice way to live.

4. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Sounds like absolute heaven....However, I am tied to civilization for the time being so I can't be too far away from developement of some sort. I would love to have about 1000 acres and my house in the middle of it....

5. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

A small percentage of the population seems to have an anti-crowding gene that causes that feeling...

Most of them are on this forum. :cool:

Welcome.

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I would want to do it legally, so that the powers that be would not tear the place down.

Other than that, it IS tempting, isn't it?

I would want a local place to fish, and a clearing somewhere to garden, and a cistern or 50 gallon barrels to collect the water from the roof. :sing:

7. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

That's exactly what I'm in the process of doing. I decided to close my pest control business in Denver, sell my house, and move up to the mountain property I bought 18 months ago. I plan to build a house, have a big garden, some chickens, bees, and maybe a barrel of catfish. (MaineFarmMom - you are living a dream and are an inspiration)

Some think I'm crazy, some are envious. I'm not sure how I'll manage, but after being a member of this forum for around 18 months, I know it can be done and I know where to get help!

8. BamaNana

BamaNana Well-Known Member Supporter

:goodjob: The town wouldn't even need to have a post office or a tavern!!

If DH and I had the money, we'd be in the mountains, deep in the woods... in a heart beat! :sing:
    But, we would do it legally too and I'd of course tell my son, so he can bring me my grandbabies a couple of times a year :angel: :sing:

9. MaineFarmMom

We did it legally and inexpensively. Cricket, we look at civilization in the opposite direction. When we leave the city and cross into our county we're back in a more civilized place.

You don't have to do everything yourself. We don't. My husband works off the farm. I run the farm and also am the editor of an e-zine, which I do from home. We have steady income. My husband is a forester and enjoys his job a lot more than he enjoys my farming. There wasn't time to fell the trees for this year's firewood when it should have been done. We bartered for eight cords of tree length. What we don't grow is probably grown by a neighbor. Buying or bartering with them is good for the local economy. Grocery stores aren't evil, you just have to be careful. Make acquaintances with the town folk and work together when needed. I'm sure you'll be fine.

If you have a partner it's a whole lot easier. I didn't when I first came out here - me, two kids, two horses, two goats, a dog, a cat and six chickens moved in on bears that like to eat the blueberries and poop in the backyard, bobcats, too many coyotes and lot of things that bumped loudly in the night. Living in the woods can be noisy but it's a nice kind of noise.

What's your property like?

I bet you'll feel like a new person soon. Enjoy!

10. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Yep. Did exactly that in 1980. Never looked back and don't want to.

11. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

I live smack in the middle of 900+ acres of national forest. My forty acres are touched on 3 sides by the NF. On the other side, is 40 acres that is used for hunting, so I really don't see them much. And, they are good people. My nearest neighbor is almost 2 miles away, and sometimes, even THAT isn't far enough.... I've lived off grid, without running water, for 10 years now, and I would NOT trade those 10 years for anything!! I've learned that I can do more than a lot of people, less than I'd like to be able to, and have made some great friends/family to boot.....My goal is to build an underground/cordwood home, using mainly a windmill for power[I'm at 2300 feet, so there is most always a breeze]. Our weather is pretty temperate. We have some really hot, humid days, and some really cold, damp ones. I am a single woman, which can be difficult, but that's ok too. Ihave wonderful dogs and cats, the occasional bear[two so far this year], lots of deer, turkey, and some of the prettiest country ever put on earth....ALso, being that I'm a photographer, I've ALways got lots of subjects!!! :)I'm hoping to be able to grow most of my own food, barter for other things that I need, and get a horse and buggy to get around with, and a draft horse/mule to log with....it's gonna be tough sometimes, but I know that it will happen, one just has to believe, eh??? Being single, it sure helps to have a network of similar minded folks to share the ups and downs with.... I envy those of you who are more 'into' homesteading.....I guess that is what is neat, is we are all in different stages of developing our version of the american dream, trying to keep our freedoms, and being responsible for US, and yet be very happy.....

12. Evan Fryman

Evan Fryman Well-Known Member

I'm really getting to the point where i'm almost Not able to deal with
    My work Suroundings and people in general, Just too much
    Cr*p, Too much stress, Too much Politics, Too much Back stabbing
    Etc, Etc, I think you get the point !!!
    The Whole world is a Sh*t hole !
    Sorry ! But it's just Insane !!!!!
    I may be forced into a Mountain Man/Hermit Thing, No Land, Just
    Run out to the woods a live with Nature to get away from it all,
    Not that would realy be a bad thing, It's just trying to find THAT
    rite spot to do it AND Survive !!!!
    I mean Ruffing it to the Extream !!!!!!!!!!
    No money, No nothing eccept what i have now that i could drag
    out there .....
    So yes i may end up doing just that !
    .......... Evan ............

13. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

MaineFarmMom:
    I have about 15 acres. It's 18 miles from the nearest one horse town, 26 miles from the nearest stoplight. The lack of traffic is the most significant impact to me since I drive around Denver for a living. The property is hilly, with a million dollar view of the Sangre De Christo Mountain range to the west and in the heavily wooded Wet Mountains providing 360 degrees of woods. Only one neighbor is visible at nearly half a mile. I have perfect solar exposure, and a mild enough climate that I know I'll be able to have a great garden and a passive solar house. The house burned down before I bought the property, but not the large garage. I have electric to the site, and I am 90% done wiring the garage. There is a good well, with an agricultural permit. There is also a septic big enough for a two bedroom house. I have cleaned the burn debris from the basement foundation that remains, but have nearly filled it with construction materials.

The decision to make the move was difficult, but once I made it I fealt great. I still have stuff to do to get the city house ready to sell. So in spite of making the decision, I have yet to spend an entire week on the mountain.

Once I get there, I must finish the electric before the permit expires Oct 15. Then I will build a cistern, a chicken tractor, and some garden boxes. I also need some sheds to store my junk.
    Gary

14. Valduare

Evan has hit things on the head nearly for me. exept i dont feel the world is crap etc i am able to function in this world or that. evan has given me a thing to think about. that might work out well. Hikin back in and living hiker style for a while to scope things out.

15. Valduare

i wish that the people that actualy do this could come and talk here but.... im almost positive that they dont have internet :p they sure whould be a wealth of information

16. Valduare

if you all had to make a list of the initial things you whould take with you what whould it be..... start your lists now on this forum :)

17. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

All I can say is ... LUCKY DUCK! Whereabouts in Maine do you live? My brother-in-law lives in Norway, ME. Just beautiful up there. I really miss the snow, badly (here in Kentucky). :confused:

18. Valduare

bummperoo's bumpiage bummper bump bump.

19. MaineFarmMom

The harder I work the luckier I get.

I'm in the northeastern part of the state between Calais and Houlton. We're surrounded by thousands of acres of forest, many lakes, great fishing and ok deer hunting. We drive out of this county for deer because of our extreme coyote problem. Trappers are doing a good job of taking care of them. Now that they're back to a decent number the deer should stand a chance. Anywa, we bought inexpensively. Forty-five acres and a 1400 sq ft house for under $50k. It took us a while to find it. One hundred acres beside us sold for $17k. I wish I'd known it had been for sale. I like our town. We don't need building permits and running a farm business is hassle free. Nobody cares as long as you're not being a menace.

I'm getting eager for snow. Not too soon, but mid December would be nice. We snowshoe, ski, ice fish, skate, slide and a little snowmobiling. We have a lot of inexpensive fun. There's never a lack of things to do outdoors.

20. Evan Fryman

Evan Fryman Well-Known Member

I have been working on it for years now, Slowly but i've got some input !
    Books:
    Wild Edibles
    Tom Brown
    Bradford Angier
    Larry Dean Olson
    And SO many more !
    I have a list somewhere of some of the things that i've acwired ?
    I have 600 books and THousands of link's

............. Evan ............