Leaves?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Jan 10, 2018.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ok got bunch of Leaves using them now on Blackberries and Grapes for mulch. Should they be ok for mulch? Still have Blueberries, Kiwi and Fruit trees.

big rockpile

2. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Yeah...why not?
    Broken down leaves are helpful in all sorts of ways...that how Mother Nature make black rice dirt.

3. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

I use leaves as mulch for a lot of my garden. i find that my berries do really well with leaves. They really lock in moisture and keep down weeds if they are thick enough. Earthworms love them. Sometimes I put them through a shredder first if I need the moisture retention a little quicker. I love love love leaves :)

no really likes this.
  4. no really

no really Well-Known Member

I sometimes put them in a big plastic barrel and stick the weed eater in there to break them down too.

Marcia in MT likes this.
  5. big rockpile

Well last year I put shredded wood on and I wasn't happy I don't think water was getting to the stuff. I burnt bulk of my Leaves but still have plenty. I don't have a shredder but figured this will work.

big rockpile

6. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

Should be fine for what you have, not so good for strawberries because they tend to make a tough mat and are hard to rake off. Not that you asked but somebody might.

7. big rockpile

Ok it has been so warm I'm not covering my Strawberries this year. I'm going to start a New Bed and I know most say not to do this but I'm going to let them spread to where they are solid. This will give me two Beds 4'X10' which will be more than enough.

big rockpile

8. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

As long as one is aware of it, which you are, no big deal.

9. saralee

saralee Well-Known Member

10. saralee

saralee Well-Known Member

Leaves are God's gift. I layer them on the raspberries, stuff them around the green beans to keep them upright, and mulch. Doesn't matter if they are maple or oak--they all disappear by season's end. Don't till them in--it upsets the earthworms.

TheKingsTable likes this.
  11. TheKingsTable

TheKingsTable Well-Known Member

Leaves are my favorite mulch, though the type of leaf makes a difference. Oak is most abundant around me, and I'm constantly pulling up saplings from sprouted acorns. I also prefer wavy leaves or shredded leaves vs whole flat oak leaves, as the oak tend to mat more. I realized rain water wasn't getting through the mat of leaves. So yeah, I'm on the lookout for something besides oak.

12. TheKingsTable

TheKingsTable Well-Known Member

I lost track of which strawberry plants were the older ones, so I've just let them do their own thing the last few years. They've filled in almost the whole bed, and the lack of weeding has been nice! Some have naturally died and new ones have quickly taken their places.