Leathery skin on tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Rita, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had really good luck with tomatoes this year, none of the usual diseases have appeared however there is a new one for me and I can't find out what it is. The skin on the affected tomatoes is greenish/brownish and looks like the texture of crinkled leather. The seeds and surrounding tissue are greener than a normal tomato. I'd like to find our what it is so I can correct the soil if that is the problem or spray. Thanks for any help. Rita in TN

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Leathery skin on tomatoes is generally caused by hot and dry conditions combined with alternating moist and dry soils. Growth of the fruit is in spurts rather than a regular pace. It also usually leads to cracked fruit as the skin can't expand. Mulching to assure even soil moisture will help prevent it.

Martin

3. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

We certainly have had the hot, dry conditions you mentioned but the majority of the tomatoes are fine, just one here and there with this problem. Well, we might get a good rain from Katrina and perhaps the problem will disappear after that. Thanks Martin.