Leatherman or Gerber?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by commomsense, Dec 22, 2005.

1. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

Which utility tool do you like the best and why? I carry a Leatherman Super tool. I wouldn't give it up for 10 gerbers.
    I've never owned a gerber but i've used them before and they will pinch your fingers off. The gerber is also lighter built IMO.

2. Txcopperhead

Txcopperhead Future Homesteader

I'm a Gerber man. I bought my first one just after basic training. It did me well. I broke it after a while as i am rough with knives. (i didn't know at the time that gerber will fix your knive and send it back to you for free if you brake it) Well my second was a gerber multi knive. the army issued it to us right before we went to Iraq. It was another great knive but again i broke the blade and gave it back to the supply sgt. (he never got me another one like he promised) and Right after i got back i bought my last gerber knife and so far so good but if i broke it i would send it in and get it fixed. Like i said I'm a gerber knive man

3. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I love my Leatherman Wave!

Gifted DH with one many years ago for his birthday, and he has used it every single day of his life since. He gave me one last Christmas. :)

What's really nice is that he can send it in to be refurbished for free (he only pays shipping TO them; they do not charge for shipping back or the tool) when something gets a little loose or he uses it a bit aggressively. And now that I own one that I do not have occasion to use everyday, he has a "spare" to use once a year when he sends his in.

Yup, we're all about The Wave here.

Pony!

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

leatherman for shure it stays on my side use it about 10x a day

5. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Gerber...it's easier on the hands.

6. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I received my Leatherman Micro as a thank you gift for being the Webelos Asst. Leader. I carry it everywhere...and love it...

7. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

ummmm... thought gerber was baby food. :confused:

8. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

While deployed to Iraq, I had a Gerber multi-tool on one hip, and my Gerber Gator folder in my pocket.

I simply could NOT have survived without either. I loosened stuck firing pins, adjusted sights, changed Humvee tires, cut parachute cord, and fed myself with those darn things!

After one year of HARD use, all they need is some sharpening.

9. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

CindyC
    they are two unrelated companies. the knife company makes some nice multitools, field & fighting knives.
    BTW most of my marines prefer the gerbers.

10. working-mom

working-mom Registered Redneck Woman

:clap:
    Hey I have had both and I love the gerber my sweetie gave to meespecially the blade since it is half striaght blade and half serrated....
    :D

11. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

Could you tell me how a gerber is easier on your hands. The ones I've used will pinch all the skin off your hands.

12. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Hubby has had both, and broke his Gerber. Didn't know you could return it for repair free, that's great! MY complaint is the cases seem to wear out, and you can't find a replacement anywhere. I'll have to look up the website for Gerber and get the address to send his broken one to. Thanks for the info, Jan in Co

13. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ditto, the turned handle is much easier to deal with. Plus the lock function and the overal feel is much nicer than leatherman to me.

14. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

15. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I've used both, I much prefer the Gerber.

16. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I prefer the Gerber. I broke two Leatherman tools and dang near lost a finger when it broke the last time. Like others have said, the Gerber is easier on the hands too. I thought the steel on the Gerber held and edge a bit better. Jan in CO is right about the cases though. The case for one of my Gerbers wore out alarmingly quickly but I had another case that fit it perfectly so it wasn't a really big deal for me.

Gerber seems to make a fine blade in general. Always had good luck with their products.

17. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

I like both. I use my original leatherman on guns as the small flat blade screwdriver fits most small screws. The Gerber rides in the tackle box and has worked well for many years. I have pinched finger with both so that's just a side effect of using a multi-tool. Not a bad trade off considering what you get from the multi-tool. :)

Kenneth

18. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had both. Gerber is much easier on the hands, and the plier is much stronger than the leatherman, I've broken 2 leathermen, didn't even bother to return it last time.

19. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

Victorinox

--usband o' G

20. Txcopperhead

Txcopperhead Future Homesteader

Well my baby just gave me a early christmas present a new gerber multi-purpose knife. my 3rd multi and 2nd gerber i carry right now. Can't beat a gerber