Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,080 Posts
I have a leather couch because I also have an inside dog. I've been looking for something to clean and protect it but the store told me only water. I know oil can cause it to harden and crack but I need something to bring the color back now that the dog got it wet a few times and it just looks like it needs to be brought back to life. I bought some sort of paste (honey comb I think) but it did little to nothing. I'd love to know what folks use on leather truck seats?

· I love boobies
1,154 Posts
There's a whole kink culture around bootblacking and they have the most through information on this topic.

I love my firefighter White's, enough so that I had them make me a custom pair of the wildland firefighter pattern out of black strap leather (with steel toes) for formal events.

What I've learned from having mine cared for is, do not use neatsfoot oil, it's not good for the leather. Wash the boots with a quality leather (saddle) soap first. The different polishes/conditioners have different melting points. Kiwi is ok but I use Angelus, as it's the most highly recommend in the scene.

Shoe Polish | Angelus Brand Shoe Polish | Premium Shoe Care Products

· Registered
4,931 Posts
I've used dubbin all my life, in my opinion nothing beats it. There are a lot of different brands of dubbin. Due to living in a wet climate my preference has always been for the Arctic dubbin because in addition to the usual cleaning, waterproofing and conditioning dubbin ingredients it also contains mink oil and silicone. I've got a pair of heavy duty leather work boots that I've had for over 40 years that I've been conditioning with the Arctic dubbin for the same 40 years. Apart from a few scratches the leather is as good now (or maybe even better) as when I got the boots. I also use dubbin on my leather work gloves.

Pictures of different brands:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts