Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a serch for a mountain cabin, I have run across a few of listings that say they are on leased forrest service land. Could someone fill me in on the ins and outs of this kind of thing, or where I might find info on the internet about it. Or do I just need to run away from this in a hurry. Thank you in advance for any kind of info you can give me. B Adams

P

·
0 Posts
You might call the folks at paragon foundation. They deal in property rights issues all the time. I would be real careful. If the forrest service decides they want you off the land for any reason, you will go one way or the other, lease or not.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know PA had 99 year leases on land and they will be running out soon and then the places are torched or bulldozed, they haven't been renewing them. Most will be up in about 10-15 years. Not sure of other states though. I would ask around and see why they are selling it. Good luck

B Adams said:
In a serch for a mountain cabin, I have run across a few of listings that say they are on leased forrest service land. Could someone fill me in on the ins and outs of this kind of thing, or where I might find info on the internet about it. Or do I just need to run away from this in a hurry. Thank you in advance for any kind of info you can give me. B Adams

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Out here the FS is not extending existing leases. When the lease expires the house must be removed. Also the FS out here does not alow permanent year round residence only for 3-4 montha a year and lots of restrictions on what you can have i.e. no animals usually no gardens, no outbuildings. The leases are strictly for summer "recreation" use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts