Learning to eat from the Garden

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Dec 27, 2006.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

One of the early challenges we faced as homesteaders was not only learning HOW to garden. We had to learn how much to grow. We also had to learn how to incorporate that produce into weekly menus, and even how to change our eating habits - eating the veggies that are in season and in abundance is a challenge to the cook and can be a real bore for the diner.

It's been a few years for us and we're getting used to it. But I found a book that would have been so helpful to us when we were just beginning.
    "A Garden of Recipes - Planting, Growing, Cooking" by Cynthia Gibson was published in 1999 but I just discovered it yesterday in the local library.
    I liked it so much, I went out and bought a copy for myself and for my sister.
    At 29 cents a copy from Amazon's used bookstore, I feel like a robber!

The veggies she selected are basic and familiar, and easy to grow. Her recipes are simple, and look easy to build on if you are in the mood to do something more elaborate. She even lists items that can be grown in a windowsill or container garden if that is all you have.
    She suggests good varieties to grow so if you are inexperienced with gardening, you won't be overwhelmed with the seed catalogs.

It's NOT an in depth how to book on gardening, though. You'd have to look for the how-to's elsewhere.

I thought it was a really nifty book for beginning homesteaders or gardeners.
    Or for experienced ones who are struggling a bit getting the stuff from the garden to the table.

2. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Sounds like a good one. I will have to look into that. It is one of the things we are still struggling with as my DH is not a huge vege eater. He is learning though and I can sneak almost anything into a salad (lol) Whatever works!

3. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

What a pretty book! That's just weird that you can buy a book for 29 cents....nice, but weird. I ordered one. Thanks!

4. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Yeah, but it's still $3.49 for shipping... ;)

I'm gonna go have a look, too. :)

Pony!

ETA -- the 29 cent book is from someone who has a 95% rating. I always look for 98% or better. Been burned too many times...

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

us americans have gotten used to having any kind of food, any time of year. it makes going back to eating seasonally a challenge. it helps to try and eat only the foods that are in season, even what you buy at the store. that way, when tomatoes come in, you appreciate them more. same with greens or squash or anything you grow. about the time you get tired of eating it, it's dying out anyway.

eating seasonally is really a healthier way of eating.