Learning about tools 101

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by diane, Oct 9, 2006.

1. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Since my husband passed away I am looking at trying to keep the equipment around here running myself. He was always the mechanic and quite honestly I never paid all that much attention to all he did!! Is there anywhere that someone knows of, a website that talks about tools? I have a whole shop full of tools and I don't know how to use them. :shrug: I want to stay here and keep homesteading as long as I am able, but I need to know how to service these tractors etc. I do have manuals for most everything, but I don't even know how to put a socket wrench together. :help:

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The best thing I can think of is to see if there are night courses for adults to learn basic shop skills. I'd focus on maitenance first and then progress to replacing external parts, like alternators starters and radiators etc. I hope someone has got a link that would be a good start though! Some saftey tips for shop and tractor use wouldn't hurt either. Things like turn off the tractor before hooking up a PTO, and don't wear loose fitting clothing when working on machinery etc. Most of it is common sense but you don't always have it front and center in your mind when working.

3. Jim&Chele

Jim&Chele Well-Known Member

For most tractors and equipment used with them try www.ytmag.com
    They have discussion forums there are everyone is ready to help out anyway they can.

4. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Thanks.......I remember a couple years ago the adult education department of our local junior college offers a small engine repair class. I think it might be a start now that you mention it. Tractors, chainsaws, log splitter etc. are mysteries to me. I have done a lot ON them, but hubby always changed the impliments and kept them running.

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Diane don't know where you are located, but it is probably a good time to do some simple preventative measures on any tractors and trucks or cars you have before winter.
    You could start by:
    Locate an antifreeze tester. It will look like a small plastic tube about 3-4 inches long with little colored plastic bb's in the tube, and a rubber hand squeeze ball or bladder on one end. You insert the tube end down into radiator, squeeze ball & release to draw green antifreeze solution into tube. Then read tester to tell you if solution is good to -20F. Needs to be -30F if you live in northern states or Canada. Do this on ALL trucks, cars, tractors.
    If tester indicates antifreeze is not proper for this level of protection, you drain a small amount off, and add mixed 50/50 green antifreeze and retest untill desired protection level is reached. If you drain all antifreeze out, refill with 50 % water and 50% pure green antifreeze.

Then locate engine oil dipstick, check to see engine oil levels are full on all tractors& truck, car. Use owner's manuals to find dipstick if needed.

Then look up "HYdraulic Oil filling" in owner's manual on tractors. Locate dipstick or checking location, check hydraulic oil level. Inspect to see if oil is clean and brown in color. If it is green, frothy, or pea soup colored, you will need to drain hydraulic oil and put in new hydraulic oil and hydraulic oil filter before winter. The tractor owner's manual will have a section on how to do this. DO NOT put engine oil in tractor hydraulic oil system. This requires what is called " Hyd/Transmission Universal Fluid" or oil.
    Familiarize yourself with what oils and chemicals your husband had on shelf by looking thru them and reading labels.

A good place to start is to find owner's manual's, start reading Maintanence sections, learn as you go.

Another thing you should do is locate "Tire Pressure gauge" and check air inflation pressures on all truck/tractor cars on place. See owner's manuals for proper inflation pressures. Look around shop to see if there is an Air Compressor. It will probably have a red tank, with a small electric motor, pump, and red hose coming from it. This will be used to blow up tires to acheive proper air pressures.

Sorry if explaining things you allready know.
    This is just a start, but you have to start somewhere!
    One way to learn about tools is to order a catalog fro Northern Hydraulics and look at pictures and names of the different tools to familiarize yourself with what they are called and what they are used for. then walk thru shop, match pictures to what you have!
    Best Wishes.... :)

6. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

Find one of us local to you and come over for some quick simple demonstrations of hand tools so that you have that foreknowledge prior to taking any repair classes. I should think on this board there would be someone local to you willing to lend a helping hand.

7. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

8. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

My biggest piece of advice....
    As you find things and places to learn more about your equipment, learn why they do what they do.

It isn't enough to learn how to fix something. It would take years to learn how to fix each problem that occurs. There is a logical order to troubleshooting that will allow you to do more. That philosophy applies to maintenace as well. You know your car uses gas, so, you fill it up when it needs it. If you understand motor oil gets dirty after awhile, you know it needs to be changed periodically. for example:....

If an engine won't start (and you know the basic systems of an engine) you can ask yourself two questions.....Is the engine getting fuel?....and is the engine getting spark?....if one of the answers is no then that cuts your problems in half.

So if and when you go to learn something, go with the intent to learn why things do the things they do.

9. diane

diane Well-Known Member

wow.....I just knew if I asked here I would get some good advice. I have always been the animal person here. Did all the vet work, milking, canning and food preservation etc. Hubby was the mechanic. We were a good team. He had cancer and spent the summer in bed and I was caring for him so nothing got started. Consequently, nothing is starting for me now. Tractors, wood splitter, chainsaw.....nothing will start for me. You have given me a place to start. Thankyou so much!!

10. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Start by putting battery charger on tractor. As for the small engines(chainsaw and wood splitter) start by emptying old gas out and replacing with fresh new gas. If you are not going to use them till next spring, buy a bottle of "Stabil" fuel additive and put in gas tanks of any small engines you will not be using till spring.
    Is your tractor a diesel?

PS, do you understand greasing the grease ZERKS on tractor, equipment?
    Greasing and lubricating, and keeping fluids filled are of paramount importance and will prevent many expensive repairs.

Sorry for your loss. Good folks on here will help you if you post specific questions........Have a good day.

11. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Diane why not try listing the name and model of what you have and maybe some things will come to mind for keeping these things working. A lot of tractors have neutral and clutch saftey switches that won't let you start without disengaging the tranny, PTO and de-clutching etc. Some have a battery disconnect switch too.

12. Wildtim

Wildtim Well-Known Member

Dian

I have a book from readers digest called how to fix anything, and another one called basic home repair and remodeling. They cover almost everything, from what tools are and how to use them, to how to repair varios things around the house as well as small appliances. These books might give you all the background you need to be able to use your tools and once you figure out what they are all for you'll be able to translate what your other manuals are saying into instructions you can use.