Learn to not be scared of dogs

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by kyweaver, Apr 18, 2017.

1. kyweaver

kyweaver Well-Known Member

How would you teach a baby not to be scared of dogs? My 9 month twins are polar opposites with regards to dogs. Baby A has freaked out every time she encounters a dog. These encounters have been supervised with good dogs. She was licked on the hand both times and reacted with absolute terror, later crying when she even saw the dog from a distance. Baby B was also licked and immedietly started playing with the dogs, totally ok.
    Baby A has been the most outgoing with humans so this has thrown me for a loop!
    Would you encourage exposures with trusted dogs or just leave it be?
    We don't have a dog yet, but both girls love watching the chickens.

2. farmrbrown

farmrbrown nobody

3. CountryMom22

CountryMom22 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't push things, just wait it out.

Darren likes this.
  4. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Since the children in question are nine MONTHS old, you're a little (ok, LOT) premature in your worries. Give the children time to grow, learn to walk, learn to eat solids, potty in a toilet, stuff like that.

Mon

Darren, Maura and CountryMom22 like this.
  5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

For the time being, work out your baby's comfort zone. Keep the dogs or puppyies to the outside of this zone. Baby can observe the beasts without worry of having to interact with one. This may mean putting him into a buggy or on a picnic table, or carrying him away to look at the pretty flowers. Just don't ever show fear and don't try to force it. He should outgrow his dislike/fear in time.

6. kyweaver

kyweaver Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your replies. I'm not worried about her, just curious if anyone had advice. I am scared of dogs (was badly bitten at age four), and want to give her the best chance! And no, I wasn't holding her when she reacted so strongly to the dogs licking her.

7. uglyamerican00

uglyamerican00 Member

Have you ever heard of clicker training? Retreat treat? Thresholds? Look these up. They are vital for counter conditioning and living creature. Your daughter will love dogs in no time!! If you'd like a written plan from someone who trains veterans and their service dogs, hit me up!!! I can make a quick one!