Learn How To Talk Right!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by heelpin, Jan 22, 2005.

1. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

2. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

that ain't heelpin.

3. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Dat was smakkin good.......eyes realy liked the singgin..tankya

4. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

My dearly departed mother was from Kentucky and on one of her trips there she returned with the following:

Southern Literacy test
    Please read the following statement:

MR Duks.
    MR knot.
    MR 2 Duks, C em wangs.
    MR Duks.

Non-Appalacian version:

Those are Ducks.
    Those are not.
    There are two Ducks, see their wings.
    Those are Ducks.
    :haha:

Ed

5. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

That is so funny. I love Southern euphemisms. One of my favorite expressions is: "I want to make sure we're (a singin') singing out the same hymnal. It means to have a meeting of the minds: to make sure that you are understanding one another. But I must admit, when my company used to answer for Highland Hardware, I could always tell when someone from Kentucky was on the line and I culd never understand them. I even tried asking them to spell their names and addresses and I couldn't understand that either.

6. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Very similar to the one a teacher gave us to read in 8th grade... I was the only one in the class who understood it, and could read it with the appropriate "twang". he asked how I knew what it meant and I just said "I speak Kentucky". I didnt know that speaking "Kentucky" was a learned trait, I thought everyone did it. We live 10 minutes from the ky border, how could they not "speak kentucky"? My ancestors are deep mountian folk and it gets less country with every generation but the basics are still there. When I visit I pick up the twang and it would take a good 2 days to talk it off, so my friends could understand me. Annoyed with me, they were. :)

heres what we had:

C M Ducks
    M R not Ducks
    O S M R Ducks C M Wangs

7. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

L I B! M R Duks!

8. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

M R Not Duks over yonder M R B Dees (baby chicks)

9. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Saw one of those years ago and about died laughing. :haha: Wish I could remember all the other parts of the literacy test. One part I think I remember:

MR mis - C um EDBD Is

(Them are mice, see them itty bitty eyes) Thanks for the reminder! Hope someone can come up with the full version. Hubby and I often quote parts of it back to one another, esp the MR duks part since we have so many ;)

10. Litsa

Litsa Member

My folks came from Louisiana, not Kentucky. Mom, granma and granpa spoke that way and that's the english language I learned to speak on, or rather, speak with. Since moving north I discovered that the rest of the world thinks that its rediculous. At the age of ten I didn't speak in public for a year and a half, until I could talk without getting laughed at. It still comes back to me when I reminisce, talk with family, or am sad or drunk. I think its a warm and lovely accent or, as some say, dialect.

11. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Heard a guy from Tennessee one time. He said "Ya know, we don't have a lot to do in Tennessee so we thank a lot. We thank bout thangs like-if I devorce my wife will she still be my cousin?"