Leaning to shoot left handed

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by watcher, Jan 1, 2018.

1. watcher

watcher de oppresso liber

Medical issues have caused me to lose enough vision in my right eye that I can no longer see my sights well enough to shoot. So any hints on how to teach myself to shoot lefthanded? Other than just practice, practice, practice.

2. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

I've always heard muscle memory takes at least 10,000 repetitions.

Looking at it optimistically, that's only 20 bricks of .22 :D

3. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Have you tried holding right handed. and sighting with the left eye?
    One friend has to do this as he has damage in his right eye.

4. RonM

RonM Well-Known Member

I shoot left handed and have to sight with my right eye..Takes some getting use to, practice, practice...

hunter63 likes this.
  5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

What exactly are you shooting?

6. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

a decent pellet gun , and a carton of pellets

understand stance , posture, sight alignment and sight picture and do only good productive practice and try and do it for 20 minutes once to twice a day

I set up a air rifle range in my basement , just 30 feet but in a tin 500 pellets I was shooting left handed fairly well , not as natural as my right handed but well.

I do have to close my right eye because I am heavily right eye dominant

my dad has been a squinter his hole life right handed left eye dominant , it is not ideal , I try and get all the 4-H kids to try and shoot to their eye they don't have the muscle memory yet to have to break so they might as well start to their eye and not be squinting their hole life.

once having taught my self to shoot right or left switching back and forth is fairly quick , left will probably never be as quick but it is decent

I also shoot pistol strong and weak hand we force this in league some times all shots taken from the left of the barricade must be shot left handed all shot right must be right handed we keep the number of targets equal so that no one has an advantage or just the people who can shoot both well.

7. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Actually starting for scratch ....you will pay attention to the detail of shooting...that are not natural.

Or in other words...allow you to learn it correctly.

8. Texaspredatorhu

Texaspredatorhu Well-Known Member

I remember in the Marines a large number of us placed bets as to who could shoot the rifle range from the weak side. Needless to say I did not win and there’s a good possibility at that time I may have come in dead last!

9. watcher

I do that with my handguns but my neck is either too short or too inflexible to do it with my long guns.

hunter63 likes this.
  10. watcher

Got several long guns I'd like to get back into using. Plus the boy just bought a couple for ARs I'd like to help him break in :)

11. watcher

I figured practice was the only way but you never know until you ask.

12. Bearfootfarm

Have you tried switching to optical sights or can you not see those either?

13. watcher

I had a blood vessel rupture in my right eye which has caused me to have blurred vision in the center. Can't see the recital in a scope well enough to use it. The boy is buying a red dot site for one of his new rifles and I'm thinking that might work. If so I might buy one or two. I've also thought about adding lasers to them but 1) that's a lot of money and 2) Mr Murphy is always out there.

14. Bearfootfarm

You may be able to cant an AR far enough that you can use your left eye but still hold right handed, but it won't be as accurate at longer ranges.

Shooting them left handed may be difficult due to escaping gasses from the action.

15. catalekid

catalekid Well-Known Member

I lost all vision in both eyes three years ago. Surgery was able to restore a fair amount of vision in my left eye but the right one is still blind.

I still shoot handguns right handed and use my left eye. And I can shoot my shotgun just fine right handed with my left eye. Rifles are another matter. I had to switch to left handed. Use to hate it, still do not like it but it is slowly getting easier. I have found it easier to shoot mostly semi autos and lever actions although I did buy a left hand Scout Rifle.

I started with a lot of dry firing since initial sight alignment was the biggest problem. I would do a lot of bringing the rifle to my shoulder and getting the sights on target as quickly as possible before dry firing. It helped me quite a bit.

Hang in there and don't give up. You will get there :)

16. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

I prefer Prism / etched glass reticles to red dots

in a red dot the light is bounced off a coated lense

in a prism or illuminated etched glass you see the reticle even when the battery is off as black then it sends light into the glass from the edges so it is not dependent on battery and it illuminates crisp

I have a astigmatism so a red dot looks like a little star burst and not a dot hard to be precise

the only place I use an actual red dot is an open style red dot , a Vortex Viper micro dot on a 22 pistol and I still don't really like it for short range bulls eye shooting like 50 feet but it does very well at longer distances , for 22 pistol silhouettes out to 100 meters.

hoosier hubby likes this.
  17. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ok if shooting Game yes aiming is a must but in CCW class shooting in Self Defense true Aiming was not needed. Because most shoot around 10 feet, bring Pistol up either hand, point for mass and unload.

I have Scopes on Long Guns, with practice with them I can shoot with either hand.

big rockpile

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  18. Bearfootfarm

He's not talking about shooting a pistol.
    Eye dominance isn't a problem with handguns.

19. watcher

I tried canting the rifle. That might work but I think I'll just bite the bullet and start practicing left handed.

20. Texaspredatorhu

Texaspredatorhu Well-Known Member

Just out of curiousity what caliber is it?