Lean Hog Varieties

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by moonwolf, Nov 28, 2004.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Okay, I have to admit, I've never raised any porcine type of animals or pigs of any kind. Having said that, I've read some fine information on this forum about keeping and feeding pigs on a farmstead.
    I'de like to know what you all might have to relay on experience with knowing about and keeping the leanest breeds of pigs that can easily be gotten from domestic sources? Please if you can give your account rather than referring to too many outside links.
    Also, consider that living in a cold climate 2b for keeping pigs over winter and keeping feed cost minimal. A building/barn and pasture available, though not yet fenced. Utilization of gardening program for feed is in my interest to consider.
    Thanks.

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Types and Breeds of Swine.—There are two types of swine —the bacon and the lard types. The bacon is a lean type, should be an active hog and grown on pasture and a narrow protein ration. The lard hog is, like the beef cattle, a round, fat animal. The body should be a square prism or a cylinder with the sides slightly flattened. Among the bacon breeds, the Tam-worth is a leader. Other breeds are the Large Hampshires and the Large Yorkshires. European laborers do not use butter three times a day as we do in America. They use a slice of bacon between two pieces of bread for at least two meals a day. This makes the meat of the bacon hog in demand in Europe. For supplying this market the Danes are far ahead of us in America, and yet we can produce a pound of pork for less than the Danes can.

Alfalfa pasture makes the best place on which to raise pigs. They need milk while young and corn when older to supplement the alfalfa. The hog is not as dirty an animal as man forces it to be. Naturally it ranged the woods and lived on acorns, nuts and roots.

3. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I like Tamworths as a lean, yet not too lean pig. We raise them extensively, using a lot of forage and surplus milk, and some corn. Consequently, it takes a year to raise them to a hanging slaughter weight of (hopefully) 200 plus pounds. They have just the right amount of fat, never overfat despite being somewhat older that normal for a slaughter hog.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Lean pigs are a product of genetics. My husband raised 100's a year and worked very hard to get those genetics. A feed accident nearly wiped him out in 1995 (he lost about 70% of the herd when the delivered the wrong feed).

Yorkshires and hampshires are popular "regular" breeds that can produce a nice lean carcass. If you buy from any hog producer who is competing in the commercial market, you'll probably get good lean hogs. Fatty hogs are discounted too much. You can tell alot by looking at the parents of the pigs you want to buy. A good, long, lean hog, with a good sized butt, looks just like that.

We have spotted hogs, which are common, but not as much as the yorks and hamps. My husband built his herd back up, but then sold most of them a few years ago when the market tanked. We only have a few now.

Pigs need shelter in both seasons. Cold is particularly bad on newborn pigs who must have a heat source. Heat will kill any pig, that's why they need mud or a way to cool themselves.

We feed our hogs shelled corn and soybean meal. I don't have any experience in feeding other stuff without the corn and soybean meal. Your best bet would be to talk to local hog people and see what they feed.

You will need a fence or ring the pigs. I have two pet pigs that have caused a world of trouble being kept unfenced. They don't go anywhere, but they like to get into everything....break into the barn and eat all the chicken feed, root up the yard, shove gates off hinges etc. Ringing stops the nosing around and destruction, well some of it anyways.

Hint: ring them before they weigh 500 pounds! :)

Jena