leaking tiolet

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TexasArtist, Jul 2, 2006.

1. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Yesterday I noticed I could hear water but could find it. Then late last night I noticed the water is leaking in the tiolet. Not out on the floor but in the bowl. How do I fix this? I tried taking the back lid off and trying to tighten things but it didn't really work. Should I buy a whole new tiolet kit for the back part?

2. quietstar

quietstar Well-Known Member

Sounds like the float valve isn't completely shutting off the tank water in. They often can be adjusted depending on the type you have. The good old arm and ball float could be bent to solve the problem. Good luck...Glen

3. PineRidge

PineRidge Well-Known Member

Before you spend money trying to fix it,first try bending the "arm" where the float is. If it's too high, the tank will think it still needs to fill up. If that doesn't work (and it probably won't but is easiest to rule out)check your plunger on the bottom of the tank. That is the part that lifts up when you flush. The rubber can degrade, or gunk can build up on it, and cause it not to seal properly, hence the leak. Just that part might need replaced, not all the toilet works. Or you might only be able to find a kit that has everything, just make sure you take the piece you are replacing to the hardware store to get the right size. Oh, and turn the water off if you are taking things apart :p (not that I've ever done that, lol)

HTH

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

It's going to be a leaky flapper, the second item PR noted. Buck and a half at any hardware store.

5. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Whatdya mean turn off the water.......it's hot here in texas ya know !!! :p Yes I know to start off with that then flush to take the water out of the tiolet before beginning.

Thanks for the help folks. I'll go give those thing a check.

6. ninny

ninny Well-Known Member

It's real easy to determine what part is causing the problem . If the water is getting too high in the tank and running over into the overflow tube, it's either your water heighth adjustment or the valve that lets the water in is sticking. If the water in the tank is low or isn't filling up, it's probably the flapper valve not seating properly. In either case you can replace the whole shooting match for around six or seven bucks.

7. SWAMPKITTY

SWAMPKITTY New Member

there are only two ways for the water in the tank to get into bowl.
    #1thru the overflow.#2thru the flapper in the bottom of tank.if it has just started leaking it is most probly rubber flapper in the bottom of tank.if you have recently installed a ballcock be sure the rubber refill tube does not extend into overflow pipe below water level as this will cause siphoning of water into overflow.