Leaking pipe question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BlessedMom, Oct 11, 2004.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Okay, when we looked at the house we had it inspected. The inspector found a small spot in the lower bathroom that looked like they had a leak. We asked about it and were assured it was fixed. Well we know how they fixed it..they took drywall putty and painted over it. They never fixed the @#$# leak. The leak is coming from the shower stall (I think) drainpipe...maybe. So I think that they just didn't use it. About a month ago we realized that there was mold growing in the cabinet downstairs that shares the same wall with the bathtub downstairs. Also above the bathtub where the wall and the ceiling meet we now have a small hole. It is now evident that they did a "cover up" job.

Now, I am going to have to figure this out myself. I cannot afford a plumber but I can't afford to let this continue.

Any ideas? I hate to tear everything out!! HELP!

BlessedMom

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Call the inspector. You paid for his services to not end up with problems like this. He needs to at least get back out there and look at it and tell you what recourse you have. These things can get rather expensive.

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

How long ago did you purchase this house? Some one at your mortgage company might be able to advise you of any legal rights you have,maybe getting the previous owner to pay for these repairs.Sounds like fraud to me.Sence they covered it up,but didnt fix it! Or maybe they paid some one to fix it.But they didnt fix it properly,makeing them libel for repairing it agin?

Im not sure who paid for it us or the previous owner but we had one year of waranty threw an insurance company on our house when we bought it.You dont have the same do you?

Sorry to have to say this but if there is no access door anywhere.You may have to do like i did and cut a square out of the dry wall in front of the faucets on the opposing wall of the shower.(i had to replace my faucet set).Where i had to cut the hole happened to be in a closet.So i just covered it with a piece of plywood,for later access.How ever if you cut the drywall from the center of the stud to the center of the next stud.You can then cut two pieces of 2x4 16inches long (tight fit!) to fit between those studs so you can put that cut out piece of dry wall back in the hole(if you don't break it that is).To put the 2x4 blocks between the studs you can use a drill and screw them in with 3inch dry wall screws shot in at an angle. (like toe nailing a nail).Nailing them in will be a major pain.Tape and mud the joints with dry wall mud,and repaint that wall. But be careful and don't cut your self please! If the utility knife blade hit a nail in the dry wall it can break or jump out and of coarse cut the devil out of you.
    Try doing a search for patching dry wall and you will most likely find something related.
    Ah assuming its dry wall?

Id cut a hole in front of the faucet set first.If you cut it down low close to the floor you should be able to see under the tub/shower to see where the leak is.
    Might just need a nut on the drain pipe tightened.Also if the opposing wall is a short wall you might pull up the base board and cut all the way to the floor then you will only have to put in one block up top to fasten the dry way back to.There will be one laying one the floor inside the wall already.
    Hopefully you can reach it from there.You sure don't want to have to fix the downstairs ceiling.If you can help it. :waa: The texture on ceilings are hard to match up.If its textured.

Good luck and us posted!

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Yep agreed i didnt even think about that one! :D

Heres a great DYI forum if you have to tackle it your self!
    http://forum.doityourself.com/

5. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

It may be as simple as painting a sealer on the shower pan about.
    About $20.00. Sounds like you opened the drywall to see the error.
    Follow the drips. Depending upon the plumbing you could fix this yourself for less than $100.00. In other words, don't panic, take pictures and take them to the Home depot guys.

6. cafeaulaitinfj

cafeaulaitinfj Well-Known Member

Tearing out the downstairs' bathroom's cealing, and fixing the drain while standing on a ladder, maybe having to reach to do it sounds like a major bummer. I don't blame you for not being happy. Or maybe you would have to pull the shower out. I've never played with drain plumbing. I sure hope you can get someone else to cover this.

We had a bad inspector when we (well, my MIL) bought our house. The wiring was so bad *I* could see it was a big problem. It isn't hard, when you are seeing bare wires that you know carry a charge. I thought that we should have some kind of recourse, but my MIL didn't even try. She paid to have it fixed. It took forever. At least it seemed like forever.

Heather