Leafs dying :

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dogo, Apr 24, 2006.

1. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

I noticed mostly in the top of my pear tree the leafs seem to be dying . Maybe on three or four different limbs . what could be causing this ? I notice also some Comfrey I transplanted from the pot to a permanent spot outside a few hole came into the leafs, what do you think the cause and what would you guys recommend ?

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Without seeing the affected branches, my guess is that you have fireblight. The main vector for the disease is honeybees. Other insects landing on the flowers from an infected tree and then going to yours can spread it. It also can be spread by using someone else's tools or if someone else comes into your yard and uses their pruning tools without disinfecting them first. Some pears are resistant to fireblight. Most are highly susceptible though. Other types of trees can get fireblight too. You need to cut off every affected branch a foot or more below the diseased part. After every single cut, you need to disinfect your shears with rubbing alcohol. Repeat; Every single cut.

3. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

learned the hard way--the way to identify fire blight, is by the "shepards crook" on the ends of the dying branches. look--if it is, the ends will be curled under in a "crook" position.

4. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

Woodsprit, I appreciate the info. I believe you hit right , There were more than I thought after getting into it . Maybe I can save this particular pear tree . Thanks