Leaf hoppers devouring my garden

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by renee7, Jun 14, 2004.

1. renee7

renee7 Well-Known Member

I don't have bean beetles, and I don't see any other bugs. but they have already eat my lettuce and are all over the garden, they're really working on my beans.

They're a little black bug, and when you touch the plant they jump. I think that is leaf hoppers isn't it.

What can I do organically? I don't want to use poisens.

I'm out of diatomacous earth. Does any one know the best place tp order some?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Rotenone works with many garden insects. It was the old time standby. It should be available at most garden supply places.

3. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Out here we call those flea beetles and they sure do decimate a garden. I learned to keep stuff covered with floating row covers and that does the trick for me.

4. Jimmy Mack

Jimmy Mack Well-Known Member

could be flea beetles. Do they cause little brown dents in the leaves? If so try spraying the plants with a garlic solution. If its not too late also try growing Radish as a trap plant.

Make sure the plants are properly watered. Flea bettles luv to munch on water stressed plants. Or plants stressed for any other reason.

maybe it just makes me feel better, but if I'm passing the garden I'll take a minute and try to shake the plants to get the little buggers to jump off hoping they go somewhere else.

Flea beetles lay their eggs in plant material on top of the soil so keep the top few inches of your soil cultivated and as clean as possible while still supporting necessary organic processes.

for more diatomacous earth try groworganic.com

good luck!

5. renee7

renee7 Well-Known Member

Thanks all. My lettuce looks like lace. But I really don't care about that It was getting too old anyway.

jimmy Mack, we've had lots of rain. I put old manured straw around my plants, do you think that might be the problem?

But I think that I may have solved the problem. I thought of the Guenis's the other day. But the little buggers, (bugs) hop so fast, that I doubted the Guenias could catch them.

The yard and the garden are next to each other. and the dog stays in the yard, so the Guenias won't come into the garden. So today, I put the dog in the house, and let the guenias in the garden.

Now I can't say for sure what they were eating, but they were going to town on something.

I'll let you know.

6. Jimmy Mack

Jimmy Mack Well-Known Member

renee, way to be proactive with the Guineas. Saves on feed and takes care of the bugs! Here's the title of a book you may be interested in if you don't already know about it:

"Gardening with Guineas : A Step-By-Step Guide To Raising Guinea Fowl on a Small Scale"

if the old manured straw is composted its not the problem, if its still showing straw in may be a hatchery for the bugs that are eating your lettuce.

in any event, best of luck!