Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on another forum about LDS canneries and it got me to thinking--are they open to the public? And, how to we find where one is near us? The posts I was reading were OLD--1998, 1997, so the info might not be accurate now :rolleyes:

A

·
0 Posts
You can find the various Home Storage Centers (used to be called Family Canneries) here:
http://www.providentliving.org/location/map/0,12566,2026-1-4,00.html

So far as I know non-church members are no longer permitted to use the facilities or buy food from the cannery. They used to do this, but there were some individuals who misbehaved back in the runup to Y2K that caused the church to change its policy.

BUT, if you should happen to know any LDS members who prep you are allowed to tag along with them as part of their canning party to put up your own while you're helping them with theirs. This is what I do and we always have a great time.

Policies can vary somewhat from cannery to cannery so you'd want to inquire of the specific location first.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I checked with the one in OKC and it only allows members to use the cannery. He didn't say if it was all the canneries or just that one that had that rule.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I called the LDS cannery near me last week, The gentile man was very nice but said no sales to non-members. My neighbors are LDS and told me that they will help me out with purchasing their products. Their going to see if I can go with them to volunteer at the cannery just to learn how they do it.

Jeff

·
Registered
57 Posts
They have disconntinued the refried beans, so get them now if you still can... :Bawling:

Unless it has changed in the last few months our cannery still allowed non-members with LDS friends.

Elisabeth

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Well heck, my Cousin is LDS but she has her own canning kitchen and I noticed she had very little home canned stuff in her store room.
Don.t guess I will get to go with her.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
ruby_jane said:
I was reading on another forum about LDS canneries and it got me to thinking--are they open to the public? And, how to we find where one is near us? The posts I was reading were OLD--1998, 1997, so the info might not be accurate now :rolleyes:
You need to call the specific LDS Food Storage center near year (cannery). The one in Nashville, allows Non-LDS people to use the cannery. You need to come with a LDS member. The issue is that the items there are often grown at the church's farms across the country. They operate without a profit, so the church can get in trouble with the non-profit statis if they let those not members of the church use the canneries. Providing a service for church members doesn't get them in trouble with the Govt. And, yes, we have to fill out a paper, with our name, phone, address, church location, etc. on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts