LCD Television

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Dec 6, 2006.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Been reading all the messages lately about folks who have given up television or cable or other special connections. Unlike some of you we really enjoy our television and in fact are planning on buying a 32 or so inch lcd television for our selves for Christmas.

I am wondering if any others have this type of tv and how they are liking them. We are thinking about a Phillips, Sharp or Samsung as the brand for ours. I am a bit worried about the wattage which seems to vary considerably since we are on limited solar. We have waited a long time saving up for this purchase and would like to buy wisely. TIA sis

2. shaycool

shaycool Well-Known Member

I'm also looking into an LCD HDTV, check out this site for reviews and opinions from forum members: http://www.avsforum.com/

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i dont watch a lot of tv but we have a 36 in. lcd we love it
    it allso is hooked to the puter so it is our monitor

4. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I am not sure about what TV's take in wattage if LCD but I just got this 20.1 Widescreen Computer Monitor LCD and it takes 45 Watts which is WAY less then my old 19 CRT One~! So if that holds true then LCD TVs should also take less in Wattage then a standard TV.. My 32 Inch Toshiba Standard TV only uses 90 Watts and is 3 years old. So I would say any LCD TV should be at that OR Under. I AM looking into getting a DLP one and to have the Same height as my 32 inch one I am looking at a 42 Inch Widescreen as I would get nothing BUT Widescreen now as that is what HDTV Will be in and IS the Standard for DVDs

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have been doing some research on an LCD television/monitor and here is what I have found.
    Get the aspect ratio of 16.9
    Contrast should be not less than 1000:1
    Response time 8ms or better
    luminosity over 500cd/m2
    tuner ntsc builtin but HD builtin advantageous
    The only problem is that I cannot find a tv/monitor with all these features in my price range.
    The Sharp Aquos has had the best picture that I have viewed on an LCD tv.

6. wheeezil

wheeezil Well-Known Member

Is there an issue with altitude and flat screens

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

There used to be an issue with cold temps... is that still relevant?

8. TheBlueOne

TheBlueOne Well-Known Member

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

we have no prob. with anything we have a protron it was 1800 for the 36 in.

10. mike3367

mike3367 lost in my own mind

well since im a tv repair man i would talk to you local guy and see if he works for them under warranty. make sure you buy the extra warranty's they ae very expensive to fix. now being said wally world sells magnavox's 37 inch lcd for 1200 bucks and wally world sells a extra 3 year warranty for only 99 bucks down my way. all that online search stuff great but if your local guy wont work on it if i breaks then your out a lot of money

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I have a Samsung Lcd monitor/Tv and think the quality is very good.1 dead pixil in several years too.

They cost more than the off brands,so the choice is yours.Ive seen some nice pictures on off brands,but dont know the quality.

BooBoo

12. mj1angier

mj1angier Well-Known Member

" I am not sure about what TV's take in wattage if LCD but I just got this 20.1 Widescreen Computer Monitor LCD and it takes 45 Watts which is WAY less then my old 19 CRT One"
    New fuel to misses-" Dear, it will help the enviroment if we get the 42" LCD" LOL

13. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

We just got a 37" LG LCD tv. DH loves it. And, I have to admit, we do to. We went shopping in Colo Springs for it, looked everywhere. No one at that time (that day) had an LG. That's what DH wanted. Came home, I suggested the local dealer, he went down, they had on and the salesman is also the repairman. So, DH felt really good about his purchase.

Its his christimas, brithday, anniversery all three for the year.

14. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Wow thanks for all the great infor folks! I also thought the Sharp , Samsung were good sets. Also liked the Phillips cause it used less power. Seems if you stay at 20 inches or smaller they use practically nothing power wise. Then they jump right up there with a 26 inch using about 120 watts and a 32 inch useing 150-185 watts! Still researching the freeze issue and the altitude issue! SIS

15. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Altitude here 5000 feet,LCD works fine.

BooBoo