Lazy man's pig pasture!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tinknal, Nov 19, 2004.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an area of about a half an acre I am fencing off for pigs. I'm not going to keep a lot, just 3 or 4, and only once a year. I'm toying with the idea of planting jersusalem artichokes there for a feed source (of course I would still feed them). I know that they are very invasive and should grow well. I figure I could let them grow til late summer, turn the hogs lose, and let them do thier thing. I would butcher in late fall or early winter (best time of year to brine the hams and bacons). I could maybe also spread some squash or pumpkin seeds in the spring. I do have plenty of experience with hogs, so I'm not going into this blind.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Yes they will eat jerusalem artichoke tubers, but they take a couple years to get established. If you can get the tubers cheap, sounds like a good idea, but depending on where you live they may be much more expensive and labor intesive than say a 7.50 dollar bag of 100 pounds shell corn

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Would you consider raising corn in your pasture instead? The pigs could knock the plants down as they wanted them.

I have heard that jeruselem artichokes are very low in protien.

4. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if they would be worth the effort too. I don't know anything about raising jerusalem artichokes but I know that my hogs can clean up my huge garden in a matter of days. I turn them into the garden in the fall to reap whatever is left and it only takes them a few days, maybe a week at the most to have everything cleaned up and the ground rooted up.
    Just a thought.

If you do decide to grow them, let us know how it goes. Might be worth the effort. Won't know til you try? :)

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

corn is actually lower in protein when you figure the whole plant. Jerusalem artichokes are the starchy tubers, whereas the part above ground is a sunflower with lots of seeds

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Jerusalem artichokes are classified as a noxious weed here, they grow VERY well.
    Corn is labor and chemical intensive, and I can buy it cheap. As far as pigs destructive capabilities, artichokes being tubars it should slow them down a little. Since I will have the hogs in the pen anyway, It' sure couldn't hurt. I only raise one batch of hogs a year, and like to butcher during cool weather since I process and smoke my own meat.