Laying out a homestead ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TNHermit, Oct 29, 2005.

1. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

After five years of owning this place I finally completed my first full year hear. I was a road warrior before that. THis has been a year of learning and getting the lay of the land. Was wondering what others did when they layed out there property. Some things are in stone here allready (house and furniture shop) but still have a lot of options. Garden and woodshed were first. Gonna move the wood shed allready.:) Greenhouse/Summer kitchen next along with a galoot (all hand tools) woodworking shop. Animals will be down the line.
    Looking in the "old books" there seems to be a rhyme and reason the way they did things. At least they look well layed out. :)

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

If you're interested in a functional layout look at the book Permaculture by Bill Mollison.

3. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Back to Basics a readers digest book has a lot of information about layout. You may also look at Sustainable farming sites.

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

We bought bare land, a narrow six acres. We looked at it in the spring to see where the water settled. It's pretty wet, but the wettest (lowest) area is at the west end, so that is where we put the pond. The house is near the pondt, so that meant everything else, sheds and livestock, went east of the house. The position of the duck yard was determined by where we wanted a vegetable garden. The ducks fertilize the garden all winter and at night during the summer. They also keep it insect free.

5. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

House and my woodturning studio are fixed allready, but the real killer for me is since i am in the bottom of a valley, its narrow and limited in room! Add in the pond and a couple water drainage ditches, I need to do some major work if I want to rearrange things!

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Find yourself a copy of the now out of date "Have More Plan". It's a delightful read and has some wonderful homestead layouts.

7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

In my area, the prevailing wind goes West to East.

I would want the animals downwind of the house.

Also, do you get much snow? I would try to shape the hillside to funnel icy water AWAY from the opening of the barn. That way, when the sun falls, the melt water will not make ice at the barn door.

8. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

What a great question.

I've also been thinking about that, especially out buildings. How far away from the house do you put them?

I know fruit trees have to go on the higher side of the hill as frost settles in the lower part of the land, & animals placed down wind.
    You can't drive over septic tanks & leach lines, so the drive is circled around them. The retention basins are also on the higher side of the hill so whatever is left of my topsoil doesn't wash away.

TNHermit, that's about all I know...