Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still finding our way towards efficient production of eggs and meat-ideally both at the same time, with dual purpose efforts. We have a large poultry pen (around 225 sq.ft) and small coop with 6 layers. This has worked great so far.

Now we've added 4 more layers and getting our feet wet with 8 meat birds. My question comes as I evaluate modifications to possibly sectioning off some of the pen between layers and meat birds....

I understand each type of producer requires specialized feed. As the meat birds are (currently-for this first round) temporary in the flock; is it OK to just feed all birds the higher protein feed designed to grow the meat birds? MUST they each only receive their specialized feed? Does a "mix" work?

Before I go and section off my area I'd appreciate some advice on egg production if the layers only have "grower" feed...

·
Registered
466 Posts
You'll be fine with giving the birds either feed. The higher protein in your layer feed will pass through the layers and make their manure smell more. If you go the other way and fees the meat birds egg layer feed they'll just grow a bit slower. For any critics, yes, there is higher calcium in layer feed but the meat birds will be dead long before any calcium affects them.

If you're doing Cornish birds they won't need a roost. If you're doing Rangers then they'll have fun on a roost and have a similar personally to your average layer.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Oh, if you feed meat bird feed to all your flock make sure you have free range calcium on a side feeder/bowl. I use crushed oyster shells. You could also grind up their egg shells and feed it back to them but that's not worth my time. Oyster shell is cheap and lasts a long time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's totally doable to raise meat and egg chickens together. We keep a flock of ~15 laying hens year-round and then have meat birds in the warmer months. We've raised them alongside the Cornish crosses and Rangers successfully. We free-range our birds and I've noticed that when the Cornish crosses are allowed to free-range with the layers and rangers, they tend to be a little more active and act more like chickens. Once they're about 5-6 weeks old, they start to slow down some but they seem to enjoy being able to get out and move around. It can affect their growth rates, but it's miniscule (like 3 days slower).

·
Registered
8,840 Posts
Unless you are under contract or are selling for specialized clients, there is no reason to worry about mingling layers with cookers.
The more they can scratch and forage on their own the better.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I raise both broiler chicks and layer chicks together on meat bird feed (higher protein). Then, when the broilers are gone in 8 weeks, you can feed the layer chicks anything you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts