Lawyer's view on the Agricultural Identification Survey

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Laura Workman, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I ran across this on another group and thought you all should know about it. It's an article by a Lawyer/Farmer regarding the 2006 Agricultural Identification Survey we're supposed to turn in by January 29. You do have to scroll down quite a ways to get to the start of the article. Very helpful information, I thought!

http://nonais.org/index.php/2007/01/17/a-lawyer-farmers-view-of-nass/

2. orangehen

orangehen Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for that link! Very interesting!

3. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Laura, do you mind if I pass this along?

4. Ohio dreamer

Ohio dreamer 1/2 bubble off plumb

Thank you! I actually go this e-mailed to me through another group. I really appreciate seeing where it originated...gives it more credibility!

5. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

6. Laura Workman

Absolutely pass it along! The more people who see it, the more chance we have of putting an end to this stuff once and for all. For myself, I believe I'm going to follow her lead in the last paragraph.

7. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

Thanks so much for this link! It is one of the most informative explanations of what this survey is about that I've seen.

Peace and smiles,
    doohpa

8. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Just remember it is JUST One man's opinion that is all.~!

9. Laura Workman

Aye, Arabian Knight, we know how you feel about NAIS. (For those who don't know, Arabian Knight argues for NAIS at every opportunity.)

And it so happens that it's one WOMAN's opinion, a woman with a Ph.D. and a J.D. (That means she has a law degree.) And the "opinion" contains a great deal of research, with findings. So, apparently, you didn't read the article, and at least notice the name and qualifications of the author?

10. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

It IS only an Opinion until tested in a Court of law.~! And then all the way to the Supreme Court for a ruling. An opinion only, until tired and tested.

11. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

Uh, actually, Mary Zanoni is a woman. :)

12. Laura Workman

O-o-o-o-oh, THAT was well-informed and articulate! (Still no reading done, eh? And you should probably look up what makes a judicially-created law, just so you don't as readily display your ignorance in the future.) OK, you win, go ahead and reply now, so you can have the last word.

13. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

I didn't get a form - thank goodness, I don't want a form and won't fill it out, it'll go in File 13.

14. RipVanArkie

RipVanArkie The Rusty Ewe

I'm feeling opressed!

15. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

I would still be interested in the right of the agency to sent it out at this time. I am not a lawyer but the agency was approved for the form to be sent out every five years. Thus are they early or is this a "bonas" one for which they do not have the true power to inforce?

Thanks for the lead. That LADY is really on the ball.

16. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

I would still be interested in the right of the agency to sent it out at this time. I am not a lawyer but the agency was approved for the form to be sent out every five years. Thus are they early or is this a "bonas" one for which they do not have the true power to inforce?

Thanks for the lead. That LADY is really on the ball.

17. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

How is it that anything that Arabian Knight, or I say is to be discounted because of our pro-NAIS comments, yet the article published on the Anti-NAIS web site is somehow more credible? Lawyers are wrong 50% of the time, that's why we have Judges. Think about it. The USDA says the Informational survey isn't a part of NAIS, but because Ms Zanoni says that it is a part of USDA's "agressive pursuit of NAIS", we should believe her?

18. Scrounger

Scrounger Well-Known Member

Well - I trashed it last week when I got the thing! I also refuse to fill out the long form Census (and the short form until they hunt me down). I'm not paranoid about the NAIS idea but, I don't trust lawyers, either! It's a crying shame that 95% of lawyers give the rest a bad name..... :baby04:

I ain't jumping on you all who are fighting the NAIS, more power to ya, it's just not high on my list!

19. Laura Workman

This thread is not about whether you are for or against NAIS. This thread is an attempt to pass on information that may be useful in fighting NAIS. It follows, then, that the thread was posted for the benefit of those who wish to fight NAIS. If you and Arabian Knight don't want to fight NAIS, then what are you doing here in the first place? This is not an appropriate place to argue pro NAIS views. Sort of like walking into a biker bar and shouting "Harley's suck!" I think the bikers might just discount what you had to say, though the expression of that particular opinion might not be discounted as much as the shouter might hope! :rolleyes: Perhaps you and Arabian Knight should find another sandbox. The combined NAIS thread might be a good start.

20. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

You, Laura, are the one to introduce NAIS issue in this thread, "Aye, Arabian Knight, we know how you feel about NAIS. (For those who don't know, Arabian Knight argues for NAIS at every opportunity.)" He wasn't raising NAIS, he was just making a point, "Just remember it is JUST One man's opinion that is all.~!"
    There is already an anti-NAIS web site, NONAIS. I thought this discussion group was about Homesteading, today? Why would you post from an anti-NAIS and not expect opposing viewpoints. Are people only allowed to post that agree with you?
    The article is written by a woman about the survey, not NAIS, but you wrote, "This thread is an attempt to pass on information that may be useful in fighting NAIS." Perhaps you could pick a topic and stick to it? If it is a NAIS issue, perhaps you could take your own advice and stick it in the existing NAIS thread. Now go do the right thing.