laws protecting farmers markets?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by zharzhay, Mar 8, 2005.

1. zharzhay

zharzhay Member

Hi all,

I recently saw somewhere some *federal* laws which ensured farmers the right to sell their produce on public property.

Does anyone know where these laws reside?

Thanks,
    Erik

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

3. zharzhay

zharzhay Member

yeh that's a good article, thanks

I didn't find any federal laws per say, but this is from the article, about the USDA:

-------------------------

The USDA has provided valuable financial support to many market programs across the country through the Federal State Market Improvement Program (FSMIP), which provides grants to states to support farm marketing initiatives.

In the new 2002 farm bill, Congress authorized a new Farmers’ Market Promotion Program for USDA to award grants to organizations operating and supporting farmer’s markets. The goal of the program is to “increase domestic consumption of agricultural commodities by improving and expanding, or assisting in the improvement and expansion of, domestic farmers’ market, roadside stands, community-supported agriculture programs, and other direct producer-to-consumer market opportunities.”

As part of the new initiative, the law requires the Secretary of Agriculture to carry out a program for developing farmers’ markets. Under this program, the Secretary is to:
    - work with the Governor of a State, and a State agency designated by the governor, to develop programs to train managers of farmers’ markets;
    - develop opportunities to share information among managers of farmers’ markets;
    - establish a program to train cooperative extension service employees in the development of direct marketing techniques;
    - work with producers to develop farmers’ markets.

At the state level, most departments of agriculture have someone on the staff who is responsible for helping advise and support the network of farmers’ markets in the state.
    -------------------

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Illinois has a state law that says the government cannot charge a fee or tax for a farmer to sell their produce. It does not guarantee the right to do so on public property (which I doubt is a law anywhere). I don't think there is a federal law regarding this, at least I have never heard of one.

Jena