Lawrence, Kansas, homesteader

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oggie, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I enjoyed reading that. It certainly makes me think about all the extra stress I cause myself for believing that I need to live a certain way.

3. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

When I read that I thought about some of my neighbors who have to have a tv in every room and outside if they are in the yard, the newest and best cars, a swimming pool, perfect lawn etc. Both are very unhealthy and would really benefit from some exercize and a lot less of the excess they now have. They don't want to see farm things such as veggie gardens and animals in others' yards as it is "Bohemian" and to be made fun of when ever they see you working in the garden. I was out working in my garden and one shouted to the other "Bet she wishes she could be swimming in our pool instead of working in the DIRT~ha ha!" The other said "I don't know why they just don't get rid of that garden and put in a pool anyways." Sure, like everyone wants to swim in heavily chemicalled water. Not me! I can smell their pool across the yards and it is not close at all. We were offered a free above ground and said "NO!" too much trouble.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

The story and comments make for an interesting read.

I admire the man first for being able be different and apparently not care what others think.

I admire the man for getting by on so little and providing so much due to his own works. However I do think there is more to be thought of just as the comments posters have stated.

With only a $600 income it is unlikely that he has any medical insurance. That is fine and dandy so long as he remains healthy. What happens if he were struck by an auto while bike riding, or if he has a stroke? What about if cancer should strike? How are his dental needs met with only a $600 per year income out of which taxes must be paid? What about future medication needs, say for glucoma treatment or any number of other ills?

Does the man have any retirement locked in? There will come a day when he can no longer tend a garden, say when he is approaching age 100. What then? What about nursing home needs? Let the state take care of him as so many others have to?

I don't know the arrangements for use of the vacant lot, but what happens should the lot be sold to another owner? Where does he get his firewood supply? Does the lot provide it too? Without set ownership of the land he tends and gardens on he has no secure future in my opinion.

Will his income keep up with the property taxes assessed on his home? The eventual need for a new roof? A fire in his home while canning his produce?
    Does he carry home owner's insurance? What about liability should someone be injured on his property?

There is more to life than just getting by. One needs to also look to their future life and needs, not just the here and now aspect.

5. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

the comments were a revelation. Maybe I am naive, but I did not expect such asinine hostility.
    I am sure he harvests his wheat the way he does to give folks a chance to help and work with their hands. With a scythe he would have it done in no time, he really would not need anyone. I would advice him to not eat margarine though, one of the worst foods the 'industry' has come up with.

6. debra in ks

debra in ks Well-Known Member

I live in Kansas about 1/2 hour from Lawrence where he lives. Lawrence is a college town and very lenient about odd behaviors. It's a great small town with lots of artists and other bohemian types. If you ever get a chance to visit you should not be disappointed.

7. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Around 14 miles between Atchison and St Joe Mo

8. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

I am also about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes from Lawrence. I went to KU when I was much younger. It is true that alternative lifestyles are accepted there. I think the posters after the article are probably from around here as well. This area is one of the richest areas in the state, making a lot of people very materialistic. There are many of us also in this area who are middle income and lower and understand his alternative choices. An earlier poster pointed out dental and health insurance. There are several medical facilites around here that will take care of the uninsured, but you know we workers ultimately pay that price.

9. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

He has a lot in common with me. I had already decided to get rid of utility bills when i get home and only use a vehicle 6 months of the year when I need it to get to the farmers market, So I dont have to work to pay auto insurance and for gas. Problem is I am not sure if the insurance/state will let me only pay for 6 months and then not drive/pay insurance 6 months. I think it is to bad he has to work so hard to pay taxes that will be used for things he does not belive in,though better still to live a subsistence life in a place that has no land taxes like free hold land in fiji and other places. Like someone said I think he is living on borrowed time and other peoples favor since he does not own his wheat field. I was planning on taking the winters off to homeschool my kids and read also. Sounds like he did not decide to have a family which probably makes it easier for him to live his lifestyle the way it is.