Lawrence county Oh land price

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by agmantoo, Apr 11, 2005.

1. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

What would be the going price on 25 acres in LAWRENCE county near IRONTON OH ?

2. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

I don't know - but it would be interesting to find out. All of my grandmother's family came from near Ironton - Dillon, Langdon, Neal, Ellcessor, Callitcoat, Yingling, Lee, it goes on and on.....

The lived on Greasy Ridge. I've always fantasized about getting 10 wooded acres and put a little log cabin on it for a weekend get-a-way.

BEAUTIFUL country!!!!!!!

3. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have chanced by 25 acres in the above mentioned area that is priced very attractively. I know nothing about the property! If someone on this site has an interest private message me and I will provide the source. The reason I do not post it here is that I do not want some middleman to enter into the picture trying to profit off one of us. I have no personal gain or conflict of interest to be made from this!

6. cc-rider

I found that out. I called them yesterday about a piece they had for sale and I asked about deeded restrictions (I'm finally getting smart!). They said no pigs. I said "not even for my own use?", and he hem-hawed around and said "well, maybe a pig for 4-H, but just one, and nothing else". Geesh. And this was a 20+ acre parcel.... not a little 5-acre "gentleman's farm".

7. CountrytymeFL

CountrytymeFL New Member

I work for Countrytyme, and was manager at the Southern Ohio office when the Ironton property Rock Hollow was being developed... I know that they have reduced prices on this farm and are really trying to move it out. I really don't understand why it is still available. The property is great and it is surrounded by Wayne on 3 sides with 4 wheeler trails and ponds all over. This property is also on a blacktop road only a couple of miles from the River.

As far as restrictions go... in some cases exceptions may be possible, so feel free to go ahead and pursue a property that you are interested in and make an offer contingent upon getting what you want. We do not put restrictions in place to try to tell you how to run you life, they are used to give lot buyers an idea of what to expect in their development, which aids in buyer confidence and helps to maintain the value of the lots. If you want to do something on your lot that is against the restrictions, in most cases you just have to get written permission from the other lot owners and we will not likely object.

Check out all of our available properties at www.countrytyme.com

I am now in our new Florida office, but can still help find answers for questions about properties in other states, so feel free to email me at markg@countrytyme.com

Mark Graham

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Mark, welcome to the board. We are glad to hear your end of it. Nothing personal against Countrytyme, but I just wanted to warn them about the restrictions. This is NOT the type of people who enjoy having to write for "permission" to keep pigs or poultry on their own land, from my experience. But if you can live with those restrictions, more power to that person!

9. ThreeCreeks

ThreeCreeks Member

Either one would be enough to make it totally unacceptable.

Edit to add: BTW, agmantoo, I apologize for aiding and abetting in the hijacking of your thread.

10. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Hey! I know some Yinglings! The lady who babysits my daughter is one. We are about 1.5 hours north of Ironton. Not a common name, you guys might be cousins.

Shane

11. cc-rider

Hi Mark,

I didn't find that to be the case. They were TOTALLY unwilling to change any of the restrictions. Our biggest issue was that we wanted it split into two parcels at some point in time... hopefully 30-40 years from now.... so that each of my children could have 1/2. They would not remove the "cannot be split" restriction (even though it was over 40 acres or so) and wouldn't consider rewriting it to say that we could have one split.

They also had some pretty unreasonable conditions (which ALL CountryTyme properties have, I've been told by that agent). For some areas, they would be appropriate, but this particular property is located in a VERY....VERY.... "rough" area. The surrounding area is absolutely obliterated by junk mobiles, each surrounded by mounds of trash piles and cars. I'm not talking normal mobile homes with their one or two cars on blocks and dogs under the porch and wood stove vents through the window. I'm talking TRASH. I've never SEEN such a mess in my life! Anyway, if I were to buy, my house had to be a certain number of square feet, etc.

Anyway.... it just rubbed me the wrong way and I won't buy ANYTHING from CountryTyme. The guy was nice enough, just very unaccommodating for the types of land he was trying to sell.

Chris
    (who DID buy land elsewhere, by the way!!! 2-1/2 times the acreage for about 1-1/2 times the price!)

12. CountrytymeFL

CountrytymeFL New Member

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. We all make mistakes and it sounds like we may have made a few on this property and also on how we handled your request. The subject of restrictions is debated in our offices on every project and I would admit that sometimes we set our expectations too high and we shoot ourselves in the foot.

We have done developments in the past with no restrictions, and still will do one occasionally, but we have to be very careful, because in a few cases where the restrictions were not tough enough and the people who bought had little respect for the land and the neighborhood…. Well lets just say it makes a lot of people unhappy and local governments and even the state starts to look very hard at rural development. For us to survive we have to make sure that our developments hold to or exceed the standards of the surrounding neighborhood.

Again I apologize for your bad experience.

Sounds like you found yourself a great deal, congratulations and I wish you the best.

Mark

markg@countrytyme.com
    www.countrytyme.com

13. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

Hi Shane,

I have no doubt we are relatives. (Maybe 10th cousins or so....) but there just ain't that many Yinglings in this world. The Yinglings (even though it may sound chinese) came from Germany and settled in Law Co. I would love to get some property down there one of these days....

Thanks!

Jon