Lawnmower won't start

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MaKettle, Nov 12, 2005.

1. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

And I bought it this summer when my beloved B&D rechargeable electric died. I hate gas engines. Anyway, the directions are to poke the little rubber button 3-5 times to prime it, depress the "go" bar at the top of the handle, and pull the cord. Last time I used it--it's been several weeks since the grass wasn't growing--it started fine. Now it roars into life and immediatly dies. So, anyone can tell me what to do next?? I tried talking mean and kicking it, but that didn't do much good. :stars: And, yes, it does have gas.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The mower is running off the gas from the prime button you're pushing. Once that gas is used up, the engine dies. I've had a few mowers like this. What worked for me was to keep pressing the prime button (every few seconds) after the engine had started...pressing the button just enough so the engine didn't die. After a minute or so of doing this, the engine would run on its own. If this doesn't work, it may be time to start messing with the carb.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Could also be some water in gas. If all else fails dump all the gas and start with fresh.

Dont think much of these primer button thingies. Much prefer a real choke, but your and my government thinks we are too stupid to use a choke properly and are worried we will greatly increase pollution. Same with the thottle locked wide open. That seems pretty dumb also.

Also please dont leave gas in mower over winter. Gums up things. Either add some stabilizer to the gas or let the mower run out of gas.

4. mtn bluet

mtn bluet in Illinois

Look around for the air filter which may have become clogged with dirt/grass. Clean it off or get a new air filter and you should be good to go. In any case, that is the first area on the lawnmower that I would look into and the simplest to take care of. :happy:

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Git you some of that there starting ether spray stuff. Punching the bulb and waiting and whatever is Ok, sometimes works. After you spray some starting fluid on the air cleaner, she kicks over and runs just fine, trick with lawnmowers is to get them a tad warm, then they run just fine. Usually I pull a couple times, if she won't start, I give the air cleaner a dose of starting ether spray. Works like a charm.

The starting fluid will get them to run for a bit, then usually they will start just fine and run without problems. If they don't run after a spray start usually it is a sure sign of much deeper problems.

Yup, sure don't leave gas in the tank over winter. Run her dry. Asking for real trouble leaving old gas in the tank. I like to put some STP cleaner in the last little bit of gas and then run her dry.

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

are you sure it HAS gas?

some solutions are the simple ones...

7. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I have a Toro mower that works with the little pump button thingy. It works great and turns over on the first pull - always . . . BUT I have learned the hard way that if it doesn't turn over immediately, it is simply COLD. (Learned this one day in spring when I was trying to mow for the first time, included a lot of tugging on the starter for a couple of hours, some kicking and cursing, and a trip to the hardware store for spark plugs etc. -- by the time I got home, the thing had sat in the sun long enough that it was warmed up and started right up! LOL) The nighttime temps are lower in this area right now, so maybe if it's kind of cool in your area, you should let the mower sit in the sun or bring it into a heated garage or barn or something to warm up a bit before trying to start it. Good luck!

MaryNY

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I would attribute the problem to the poor quality gas available today. It will gum the carb if the fuel is left stored for any duration. At the auto discount stores a carb cleaner product is sold in an aerosol can. I would get a can of this and totally saturate the inside of the carb to the point of run off. Then I would let the mower sit (a whole day) until the product has evaporated and I would attempt to restart as per normal. We all know that it would be best to clean the carb correctly but to tear down the carb with limited awareness would create more problems. There is a good chance this will fix the mower.
    PS....tap lightly on the carb while it is saturated with the carb cleaner.

9. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

I have this old lawnboy that I use and abuse. I don't do any maintenance on it at all, except that I had to weld the handle back together. I would like to take better care of it but I think each year will be its last, yet it keeps starting. I only mow about 5 times a year. Not fertilizing helps.

Yesterday, like an idiot, I forgot to mix oil. Half way through mowing it just lurched to a stop. I was sure I siezed it. It wasn't stuffed with leaves and grass and it didn't die, it just stopped very sudden. I couldn't pull the cord to restart it either. I let it cool down. Sure enough I could turn it over again. So this time just for the heck of it I emptied th tank and mixed a concoction of 2 parts gasoline and 1 part coleman camp fuel that is 5 years old and I've been meaning to get rid of. For motor oil I used Canola Oil at 1 part in 10. It ran great. Smelled like McDonalds French Fries. I actually had to throttle it down a bit even though I was chewing on leaves while cutting grass really short. I figure the Canola oil will make better compost, but mostly I just wanted to experiment.

Some folks treat machines better than animals. I am sort of the opposite. I am growing rather fond of this lawnboy however.