Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will run about 10 minutes then die even if throttle is on fast. Fuel filter is letting gas through and plug was changed. Does anyone know what else it could be? B&S engine, 12.5 HP riding mower. I have way to much grass for a push mower. Just started thiis, has been fine for months. Thanks in advance.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Check the oil to see if it's low.

RF

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
did you hit anything that might have bent the shaft a bit? I ahve a mower that I use to cut grass and flatten gopher mounds...the occasional dog bone bent the shaft slightly and it will only run for about 10-15 minutes then stop....but when it stops you can't turn the motor until it cools off.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
I second checking the oil...its an air cooled motor and the fins arent enough without adequate oil...drain it and put fresh in and should be good. If still same, check ignition coil.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,612 Posts
Check to make sure the fuel line isnt plugged. It could be stopped up near the tank, and youre running out the gas in the line before it cuts off. Letting it sit until it cools would also give the line time to refill

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also when it dies, it sounds like it's not getting gas. Can't explain that sound but know it when I hear it. LOL

I do hit an occasional small rock or root of a tree. I guess it wouldn't be worth fixin if it's the shaft, right?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil level is fine. Checked fuel lines and fuel filter, all ok. sometimes will run 10-15 minutes, then die, cool off an hour or so then start and run less than 3 minutes. So time it will run varies. What's next? How do you check the ignition coil? And I am a woman-LOL. Did change spark plug, didn't help. Thanks.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

>>>Solid-state ignition module is starting to fail. This is most likely. When they're going, heat makes them cutout until they cool down.<<<

RF

·
Registered
273 Posts
Homebody,

Remove the spark plug before starting to cut grass.

Put the wire back on the spark plug and lay the plug close to the plug pening. Caution No not hold the plug with your hand.

Turn the engine over. You should see a spark jump from the center of the plug to the tip.

Re-install the plug and wire and cut the grass. When the engine stops remove the plug as above and repeat the test. If you have a spark you probably do not have an electrical problem.

I would then listen and look for piston movement. Could be the piston or rings are expanding and partially seizing the motor. As noted by others could be a fuel problem air filter problem, etc. Do the easy things first - Checking condition of filters, checking spark, remove gas cap for a few minutes and then replacing - in case cap is plugged up and not letting fuel into carb.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Some small engines have an oil level sensor that if the oil level gets to low, it shorts the ignition and kills it, so double check you have sufficent oil.

Check the air filter, maybe replace it...most likely, the vent hole in the fuel cap is plugged, next time it dies after running for a few minutes, try removing the fuel cap and restarting it...if that vent hole plugs, since most don't have any sort of fuel pump, a vacuum is created and the engine can't suck fuel.

Examine the fuel cap and clean the vent hole as insurance...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts