lawnmower woes

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by au natural, Jul 25, 2004.

1. au natural

au natural Well-Known Member

Lawnmowers. ARRRRRGH! I don't know if it's me or what but I can't get them to last through a season. The latest one is from Wal-Mart(note to self-don't buy anything I want to last from there). It worked fine for two months. Now it smokes when I try to start it. I'm wondering...where can I go to learn how to fix or maintain junk er... :rolleyes:lawnmowers. My hubbie is NOT the DIYS type so it's up to me. I hate to pay someone to do something that I can do myself. Any suggestions?

2. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

If it's a push mower, there really isn't too much that could go wrong with it in that short of time. Make sure the fluids are topped off (oil and gas), have a new spark plug guaged correctly and put in. Make sure the carb is clean. You can find small engine books online or in a library to thumb through. If you can't fix it, you could always do what my mother did to me today....

"Can you throw a new belt on my rider for me? I can't get anyone else to do it."

That new belt included dropping the mower deck, replacing a bad pulley and throwing on two new blades. :no:

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

White smoke lots of coughing and if it starts it's very rough? Sheared key in the fly wheel. Lots to unbolt and you need a flywheel pullerd (or a very good gear puller) but not a hard job.

4. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

Man I was just at barnes and noble the other day or was it 1/2 price books they had a small engein book for like a buck

5. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have your receipt, take this machine back. Offer to start it at the entance for the manager to observe. I think they will give you a refund, or at least store credit.

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

wal mart is pretty easy about returns.

if you over filled it with oil it will smoke.
    if you tipped it over to clean it, it may smoke.
    if you hit a rock and bent the shaft it may smoke.

push mowers are pretty simple machines, and easy to fix. you get into harder times with the new "overhead valve/cam "deals they SUCK.

if it runs ok and just smokes its got a faulty ring from the factory.... they should take it back for only 2 months old.
    if its sputtering and smokin, you might have a fouled plug or a bad magneto/points and its misforing and not actually blowing oil but just huffing smoke from misfire. if you have io in/on the muffler your rings are shot.

in a new mower people make a mistake of running it right out of the box, it should be idled for an hour to breal the motor in eeven if the booklet never mentions this..
    always used a dribble of marvel mystery oil in the gas, not much, about a 1/4 tsp per qt. this may make it smoke a bit but will prolog the engines life a lot.

I would do like rick says, if they give you greif, start it up in the store, ot threaten to....
    i dont think for 60 days you will get any guff....

7. Rick

Please start that mower OUTSIDE the entrance!!!!!!

8. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, about Walmart taking back returns---not on mowers! I bought a self-propelled one that the chain wouldn't stay on and it didn't have any type of adjustment, of course. Tried to get them to make good on it where I bought it here locally and they wouldn't do a thing for me. Said to take it to the manufacturer. I called around and finally found a repair guy that would honor the manufacturer's warranty, but he couldn't fix it, just kept putting the chain back on for me (like I could do that, but it won't STAY!). I finally had to just take all the self-propelled stuff off it and use it as a push mower! I hate mowers! Still having a terrible time with my John Deere----won't be buying any more of those either!

9. Rick

Au Natural:

Don't be discouraged! Let the manager know about it!

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

my nephew took one back to wal mart I had to haul it there...
    caked with grass and all, darm thing was smokin like a train.
    they took it back didnt even ask why..