lawnboy model 8255 starter pinion spring

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by HermitJohn, Jul 31, 2004.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Ok, to save lending out my lawnmower, I am fixing one Chuck my neighbor found somewhere for him. Person who gave it to him said it ran, but cord twisted. Well engine seems to have compression and there is spark, but starter pinion spring that moves starter gear out when you pull rope was bent/twisted up badly when somebody kept pulling after it was twisted in the rope. I got rope relooped properly, but not completely sure of what this spring is suppose to look like untwisted and dont know where it attached. Closest I could find on web is following diagram which doesnt help much. Its part number seven in the diagram. Anybody here more familiar with these old lawnboys than I am? Anybody got a close up photo of everything properly assembled? This is like a 1977-79 mower with 2 cycle engine.

[​IMG]

2. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks, sure different than what I took off. Probably easiest to just buy one, seems to be under a dollar and it would be bent properly. Still not sure exactly where it anchors, but at least one already proper shape would make that more obvious also.