Lawn Tractors

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by country_wife, Apr 19, 2006.

1. country_wife

country_wife Evil Poptart

What kind of lawn tractor do you own, how many hp, and what can you do with it? Can it handle a hill?
    We're thinking of buying one..needs to be big enough to haul a wagon full of firewood, dirt, or whatever, and maybe even scrape the driveway. We don't want to buy more tractor than we need, so I'm looking for opinions based on experience.
    We have six acres...mostly wooded, but several areas aside from the one acre field get mowed. Not very often, though, since I do it with a push mower. :p
    Thanks!!

2. dale

dale Well-Known Member

Personally I would get a twin cylinder lawn tractor.. that way you have the horse power you need. I would stay away from Tecumseh engines. they now days have plastic carbs on them that if anything major goes wrong with the carb you have to completely replace it..

I would not buy a lawn tractor with a Hydrostatic (automatic) transmission if you are going to be pulling heavy loads in a wagon.

the with of the cut will have to be taken into account depending on if you are going to try to go into tight places (around close trees in your field) you can always take the deck off though

Pushing with a blade.. you will need wheel weights and chains or you will just sit and spin.

I personally would stay away from the following lawn tractors: Craftsman and Wizard.. the decks have a blade housing that is weak if you are going to mow around rock you will be replacing the housing they are about 20 each for just the housing.
    AYP if you see AYP in the serial number it stands for American Yard Products. they are the ones that make the Craftsman and so on.

Just my opinion.. worked at a local small engine shop for last 6 years and those are the ones that gave the most problems

dale

3. country_wife

Thanks, Dale! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Very helpful! That's a great tip about the Craftsman and Wizard decks..we have a lot of rocks around here.
    Thanks again!

4. Gordon-Schumway

Gordon-Schumway Well-Known Member

I have a 17hp Tecumseh with a 46 inch deck. The advantage on this small yard tractor is it has an oil pump instead of just slinging oil..on hills this is a must. I have just recently bought a new home where the yard is so small and flat that I don't need it any longer. I plan on selling it at a bargain..$500.. used MTD mowers are not worth much more but I see people trying to sell them for 11 or 12 hundred. I had a snow blade but some one needed it more than me and permently borrowed it.

I think you need a 8n or 9n Ford for your use.

5. Wildtim

Wildtim Well-Known Member

I second The 8N for the hualing and the plowing. But you would still need a mower, of course then a cheepe would work for you.

I've got a 20hp MTD that works well with its 46" deck but not as well as my 14hp 48" deck diesel Kuboda that really flies through the grass. neither can handle the load or dirt moving nearly as well as my 8N. I woudl love to use the N on grass too but a finish mower plus a new set of tires and rims would be awful expensive.

6. SectorSteve

SectorSteve Well-Known Member

I'm kind pf partial to the Toro line . Especially the Model GT 315-8. Plenty of power, nice assortment of attachments available. It has a 15 hp Kohler OHV, standard transmission, cast iron axle. And you can't beat the warranty, 2 year full warranty and 5 year warranty on the frame and axle. It's built along the same lines as the old Wheel Horses, and those were almost impossible to break. I still have a 1965 Wheel Horse model 855 and it runs great.

7. danb98577

danb98577 Well-Known Member

I may start a fire fight here, but this is just MY opinion from experience. DO NOT even consider hydrostatic drive as an earlier poster mentioned. And be careful of John Deere mowers. They are spendy and their longevity is questionable. They make good farm equipment, but consider other sources for what you are after. Twin cylinder would be a great idea as mentioned earlier. Dan

8. Richard6br

Richard6br Well-Known Member

Why do you think that a sling oil engine won't last on hillsides? I have a 1975 Wheel Horse with a 12 hp Kohler engine that has never been touched, still runs great and uses no oil and I have nothing but hills.

9. Gordon-Schumway

Gordon-Schumway Well-Known Member

I had a 13 hp Tucumseh with a 38' deck which I used to mow a 30 degee bank side to side. It lasted 1 year before it melted the flywheel weights. Such a mess and the parts exceeded what I paid for the mower. They cancelled my warranty because I used it on that grade.

In the end people use what they can afford but my mower would have lasted 3 more years with a flatter yard

10. country_wife

Wish I was close enough to take you up on that bargain mower! :)

What's a 8n or 9n? Lost me there! :shrug:

11. Wildtim

Wildtim Well-Known Member

8n or 9n? Ford tractors from the forties and early fiftys. First tractors to sport three point hitches. Extremely durable, easy to repair, parts are readily available. They run about $2000 to $3000 in working order. Can be a little tempremental but it is probably the most value out there for the buck in a smaller farm tractor.