lawn mower trouble

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Bishaj, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Bishaj

Bishaj Active Member

Tried to start the riding mower yesterday and it's puking gas out of the muffler. In the course of trying to start this thing over a 5 minutes time table it emptied the gas tank in this manner. I had it on full choke and have had not problems prior to today. Any suggestions on where I should start checking???

2. nicholascovey

nicholascovey Well-Known Member

An engine needs three things: Fuel, air, and fire (ignition). So check the air filter first of all to see if it's plugged. Then pull the spark plug and make sure it isn't caked up with carbon or oil. Then with a pair of insulated pliars, (make sure you reconnect the spark plug wire first) hold the spark plug (the side, not the electrode) against an exposed metal part of the engine block (to ground it) and have someone try and start it. The point of this exercise, is to determine if the spark plug is getting fire. If you see a spark, then you're good there and it's something else. If you don't see a spark, change the plug and try again. If still no spark, it's probably the coil or the wire which would mean you need someone more experienced than I for advice.
    It's obvious that the mower is getting plenty of gas, but maybe if there's a seal out in the carburator or something, it may be just automatically flooding it as soon as you try and start it. This is by no means the word of an expert, but this is what I would do to assess the problem.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

what brand of moter? hp?

4. Bishaj

Bishaj Active Member

Sorry...

Of the top of my head it's a Briggs and St. 13 or 13.5 HP

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

So, go check for spark and get back to us...... :yeeha:

6. HUBERT

HUBERT Well-Known Member

Sounds To Me If Your Tank Emptired In 5 Minutes Your Float Is Stuck In Open Position.

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Simple problem, simple solution; the float chamber vent is clogged, its a tiny hole that allows air to exit the float chamber when the fuel comes in, it is clogged. When the fuel comes in it pressurizes the chamber's contents. This fuel has to exit because of the pressure, usually through the neddles orifice, the main jet, up into the system and out the exhaust. Disassemble the carbs float chamber, spray WD-40 through the opening, usually at the top of the float chamber, until you physically see the WD-40 exiting, the problem is now cured after reassembly.

8. Bishaj

Bishaj Active Member

Thanks for all the help guys. The diagnosis of float valvle appears to be right on, and I'll be addressing that this evening. I'll be sure to change the oil as well since it's full of fuel and I've no desire to become the human torch. Thanks again.

9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Carburetor float. If it's working properly, it keeps you from having gasoline pouring out of the engine like you describe. The float could be stuck or it could have sunken, but in either case, that's where the problem lies.