lawn care question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ellebeaux, Nov 10, 2005.

1. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I think I'll have the lawn mowed one more time this weekend. My grand plans for the hand-powered reel lawnmower fell through because the darn thing won't cut the grass. So I've been having a young neighbor boy do it. I figure since I'm new in the neighborhood, spreading some money around will only do my reputation good.

My question is: Should I rake up the leaves before he mows it? He has a mulching lawnmower and it works very well. The grass is in great shape right now. I am not sure if adding the mulched leaves would a) add nutrients to the soil over winter, or b) add tannins or other phytochemicals that could hurt the grass growth next spring. The leaves are all oak, by the way.

thanks!

Beaux

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

plow it all down and plant it to hay, or corn lol. Im just kidding

3. ellebeaux

yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm trying to maintain my dignity here by considering my quarter acre a homestead!

4. BlueRidge

BlueRidge Well-Known Member

I would not mulch a heavy leaf fall onto your lawn. A few leaves is one thing, but be careful that you don't create a nice thick cover of leaf fragments that will choke your lawn.

5. ellebeaux

Well, I guess that's my question: how much is too much? My guess right now is that I can do it this time but next week I'll have to rake up the rest of the leaves. Or alternately, I should rake up the leaves before he mows and let the next batch rot on the lawn.

I've never lived in a place that had a nice lawn and I'd like to keep it that way. Without getting too obsessive! I don't want to be like one those men on the TV ads.

thanks!

Beaux

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

If you can see grass between the leaves, and the leaves are no thicker than one layer, I’d just mow them up. IMHO, the purpose of removing leaves is so they don’t form a impenetrable mat (mulch) over the winter that will not allow the new grass blades to grow through in the spring.

7. BlueRidge

BlueRidge Well-Known Member

I would not leave ANY leaves on the lawn over the winter, shredded or not. Rake, then mow. Then rake again.

And again.

And again....

:D

8. mink

mink Well-Known Member

beaux come and mow this snow.....lol...mink

9. Jerr4

Jerr4 Poems Pears and Promises

Mulching leaves is a great way to add organic matter to your lawn. With a good mulching mower the leaves with decompose over the winter. I mulch as much as I can and I do it for a living. I have 8 trees in my little city lot and have not raked any except to move them where I can mulch them. The best way to mulch the leaves is to do it weekly so you don't have a large accumulation. Of course this is just my opinion.

J.

10. PezzoNovante

PezzoNovante Well-Known Member

We've mowed the sycamore leaves with the riding mower and there hasn't been any effect on the lawn in the spring.

Mowing the leaves does two things, makes 'em a lot smaller and keeps them from piling up at the base of the house where they are a fire hazard.

11. ellebeaux

Thanks all, from what you're saying I think I can get away with mowing and mulching this time. I'd say the trees still have 50-75% of their leaves left so if it gets too much, I'll rake...