Lavender

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

predicting frost tonite or tommorrow in southern MO...is my lavender ok in its big pot on the porch or do I need to bring it in for the winter? Books seem to give conflicting advice. Thanks. DEE

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Most likely the conflicting reports you are getting is due to the existence of different types of lavender. In my neck of the woods (zone 5) I have only been able to grow "true lavender" as a reliable type to survive a winter. Do you know what type you have? You could bring it in at night until you are sure of the type you have.

3. CMATE

CMATE Well-Known Member

Wow, Diane, I think you may be able to solve my "lavender" problem!! I'm also in zone 5, do you have the correct name for the 'true' lavender??

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, know mine is a true lavender type called Twickle....I'm leaving it out...guess the greenhouse I bought it in will have more if I kill it!!...my bay window is already full of my other more tender plants so taking a chance. DEE

5. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I wish I could tell you. I saw a picture of it in a book and it just said "True Lavender".

6. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

I have cold-hardy lavender seeds to trade, if anyone is interested.

7. CMATE

CMATE Well-Known Member

Oooh, Bonnie, I am definitely interested.....are there some things that you are interested in getting as I will happily exchange with you! :)

8. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Ahh, what have you? Heck, I have so many seeds, I'll just give them away. Do you have any perennials, anything heirloom?

9. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Hi -

There are literally dozens of different lavenders. I have about 7 different varieties in our herb garden this year. I'm hoping that at least part of them make it. I'm just NW of St. Louis and sometimes they make it and sometimes they don't depending on how hard the winter is. I planted a 'Dutch' variety this year that is supposed to be "very hardy". :haha: At least that's what the tag said this spring! Sure hope so! I do know that some of the more fragile 'english' lavenders don't usually make it here (at least not in my garden). Just play around with different ones and see what makes it. I had one that I toted all the way home from Oregon in '01 but it didn't survive the winter :waa: . Guess it was from the warm, coastal part of Oregon because it gave up pretty quick. I don't bring any of them in because I just don't have the room or enough light in my house for them. Sure wish I did!

Hope yours make it!

Nance

10. Lady TS

Lady TS Well-Known Member

Don't know whether this will help, but I live in NW Ohio(zone 4 or 5, not sure which). "Munstead" has survived the winter(at least last winter) here, but "Lavendar Lady" did not survive even last year's rather mild winter. I had both of them planted in the ground, though, not in pots.

HTH,
    Tanya