Lavender/Rosemary question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Live in way south MO--are my plants gonna make it thru the winter or do I need to dig them up? They are both 1st year plants about 18" high and lush-sure would hate to loose them. Should I cut them back...know one of you herb growers will know all this but this is my first year for anything more than a patch of basil and dill!! Thanks. DEE

2. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

My Rosemary and Lavender has been doing real well during the cold season. The Lavender got a bit of freeze damage on it the year before last, but I just pruned it a little bit in the spring.

If you cut yours back at this time of year, it will try to put on new growth that will end up getting damaged for sure.

You could try covering it with hay or a blanket if the weather decides to make a turn for the worst.

I am in Zone 8A ( but sometimes I think it's closer to Zone 7).

3. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in zone 6 and my rosemary is fine outside. It's on the eastern side of the house--so perhaps shielded from the wind.

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't know about the rosemary, but the lavender should be fine. Mine overwinters in Northern IL and SW WI just fine.

I bring my rosemary indoors and pray. So far this year, I have a live plant at 2 weeks inside.

We'll see. <crossing fingers>

Pony!