Laundry Soap Without Suds?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bluecreekrog, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does it seem that laundry detergent doesn't suds up any more? Its all improved, concentrated, enhanced, enriched, and scented seven ways to Sunday, but doesn't clean worth a darn.

2. Hubby'sCityGirl

Hubby'sCityGirl The 'Other'-Yvonne

It isn't just you!

seems we are using more of the stuff to accomplish the same job previously calling for a 1/4 cup :shrug:

but more to the point: HARD WATER is the reason we are struggling with cleaning products and having to consider stronger or chemical solutions

I once sold whole house water softeners and it truly was unbelievable how little effort was required to scrub an oven or even the rust ring in a toilet, with nothing but an ordinary wash rag, softened water, and IVORY bar soap.

:rolleyes:

3. afrikaner

afrikaner Well-Known Member

I started using more natural soaps at home. It won't be fair for me to mention the name of the soap I'm using here, as I sell the soap off my website - I don't want to tread on toes or impose on people (hint hint).
    The commercial stuff tends to smell and look pretty, but won't clean worth a durn - I agree with you there. Nature has some powerful cleaners, you just need to know how to harness them.

4. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Suds aren't always a sign of cleaning power.

/VM

5. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you sure you didn't pick up an HE detergent by mistake? Those are designed to clean without the suds because suds are bad news in a front loader and, contary to how most of us think, suds are not needed for cleaning.

6. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Oh and what about Front loading washers, anyone own one? What are the cons and pros of front loading washers, do they also have the same capacity as top loads?

7. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Suds are caused by foaming agents in detergent. Foaming agents are not cleansing, but they can be irritating to the skin. The lack of suds has nothing to do with the lack of clean. Hubby's City Girl is likely correct; water plays a big part in how clean your clothing gets.

8. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

Front-loading washers are awesome!! I have a Kenmore pair that was rated as well as the Neptune series in Consumer Report. It requires less water, less soap (not sure about electricity). It has less wear and tear on the clothes, holds more than my top-loader did, and the clothes come out drier than with the toploader. The clothes dry quickly on the line and (hanging head) in the dryer as well.