laundry smell help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by almostthere, May 23, 2004.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

We had a big spill of gasoline on dh's clothes. They went into the already clean load in the washer, so now everything smells like a lawnmower.We are using Arm n Hammer laundry soap, hot water, used oxy and even dish soap(which works on dh's hunting clothes smells) to no avail. We also used a big helping of "scent Killer" we buy for dh's hunting clothes. So, should I just keep washing and hope it goes away or is there something else I can try? Maybe lemon juice? I think I might end up with some new towels out of this one, LOL and use the old ones as fire starters.:haha: I'm also thinking bleach but we are all sensative so that might be a bit harsh. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!!

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

go to a coin laundry and use there machine but first you get a product like GO-JO and rub the clothes with it then soak in hot water, do this a couple of times .outside is best. then you take a bar of LAVA and scrub them and leave it in the clothes ,then to the coin laundry you go. wash in hot water and use the large front loaders as they wash twice. thats how i used to get my shop clothes clean.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I use home made soap and pure gum spirits of turpentine in very hot water. You might have to put them thru a couple of times. Make sure your water is HOT. Fels Naptha is a brand of real soap as is Lava. Use about a fourth of a cup of turps to the first round of wash then use soap in the next round, adding vinegar to your final rinse. Hang outside on the line to dry. Make sure you use pure gum spirits and NOT mineral spirits.

4. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Hubbie used to work on airplanes - came home stinking of jet fuel all the time. Bizarre as it sounds - toothpaste would take out the smell....

5. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

Its kind of expensive but dry cleaning works, at least it did for my oilfield clothes. My mother got tired of the smell in my carharts so she took them in and had them drycleaned. That lasted about a day.
    Kirk

6. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

I use Lestoil when I have to get out oil stains and fuel smells from hubby's clothes. It really cleans them up and the clothes smell great.

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

the go-jo thing works good. get the kind without the grit.
    if you can find a cheaper brand thats got more ORANGE, use it. it will kill the gasoline smell.

a large load of clothes i use about a cup. I dont use any soap to degrease em, but I do toss in a handfull of baking soda.

8. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ideas. Dh is still sorry he put his clothes in the laundry, but I understand why he wasn't paying attention. I think I got most of the smell out, now its still a little "off" but not like gasoline. Probably all the stuff I used trying to get the smell out. In the end I think I washed the load about 15 times in hot water, and used the laundery soap, oxy, dish soap, lava hand cleaner, baking soda and finally febreeze(not all at once, mind you). I think the lava did the best job. The febreeze was extra precaution. I had a container on the top shelf of go jo and after climbing up to get it found it was empty. :no: Thanks again for the replies, I have to file this away, although I hope I don't have to do this again. :haha: