Laughing At a Temper Tantrum?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Nov 27, 2006.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

As a spinoff of another thread, I was wondering this question. Do any of you laugh or smile when you see a temper tantrum?

A couple of weeks ago there was a Grandpa out shopping with this grandson. The little guy was about 2 or 3 years old, pretty adorable.

He kept running to the toffee part of the candy aisle, trying to coax his Grandpa. He was picking up the bags and showing them, making all sorts of noise. The Grandpa wouldn't give in so in start the water works.

The little guy fell to his knees and just wailed, I mean wept for not getting that toffee :Bawling: . I had to smile because it was cute, I mean he seriously put in like 4 minutes effort trying to get this stuff lol!

Katrina

2. asher

asher Well-Known Member

I do sometimes...but if I do, it's a sympathetic "I've been there, hon!" smile to the parent/grandparent that is having to deal with it.

I find so many out there give NASTY looks to kids being kids and parents trying to deal with it. (And it's way easy in that situation to think everyone is looking at you because...well...a lot of times they are! hehe)

(Please tell me Grandpa didn't give in! LOL)

3. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hah hah, yes. And it has been my undoing in attempts to be firm with a child; once or twice I've bust out laughing (couldn't help it!) and the quizzical look said child gave me only made me laugh more.

4. littletree

littletree Homestead Dreams....

As a mother of a "highly-spirited" just-turned-three year old, I have to say I am always relieved when someone grins or laughs or gives a knowing look when I'm dealing with a grocery store tantrum. You feel like such a jerk when your kid is acting out in public, and it makes it so much worse when fellow patrons give you the evil eye.

5. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

HA! I just laughed yesterday when I saw a little boy throwing a major fit and dad looked so embarrassed!

6. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Yes, I will smile if the parent is handling it appropriately.

Granted, "appropriately" is subjective, and falls into a wide range.

But the other day there was this little 2- or 3-year old at a festival who was cutting in line and throwing the most unholy tantrum because her mom wouldn't let her cut AGAIN and jump on the inflatable boat-thing AGAIN (I think she'd done it 3 times just while my kids waited in line) because, apparently, kids that age aren't capable of understanding "wait your turn." Instead of doing something about it, the mom just shook her head and walked a few feet away to watch. In the meantime, she put the burden on the other kids in line and the high school kid running the ride to keep her from getting on again. Hello? Yes, you do have to DO something. Parenting isn't a spectator sport.

Other than that? Oh yes, adorable. :rolleyes:

7. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I've been known to give the poor parent I sympathetic "I've been there" grin. Most really appreciate it.

Let's be honest, most parents are stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea when it comes to having to discipline their children in public. If they give the little terror the swat on the bottom they deserve, you can bet your bippy that some "Kind and Concerned" soul will be phoning child welfare about it.

If they stand there and let the tantrum play itself out (within reason) then every shopper in the store is staring at them thinking so loud you can hear it "Lady, do something with that brat!"

If they give in to the tantrum to shut the kid up they get the disapproving looks of that same crowd.

Lucky for me, I don't tend to care what perfect strangers think of me, but not everyone has as big of an ego as I do.

Nikki

8. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Oh yes, it brings back 'happy' memories! I do make sure the child doesn't see me smile, however. A performing seal does better with an appreciative audience! I also think that a smile is reassuring to the parent/carer in charge of the performing child. It makes them feel less foolish and helpless if we can share that 'been there, done that' smile!

I hope Grandpa didn't give in.

9. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies!

Nope, Grandpa didn't give in and checked out 2 lanes down from us. The little boy finally gave up though.

The worst temper tantrum I saw was in 2004 in the same store, in the same mall. I think this girl must of been very tired or ill, she was about 7.

She started pitching a fit and screaming, her dad had to carry her out. She was throwing her snowboots at people too. Whoowee, glad I was in the shampoo aisle at the time LOL!

Katrina

10. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

One time, back in the Dark Ages when DD was a little over 2 years old, she decided that she did NOT want to leave the mall. "Okay," says I, "but I'm outta here. Bye!"

She THREW herself down in the middle of the aisle and started to wail. It took every single shred of my self control, but I kept walking away at a slow but steady pace.

Finally, the little snot got up, still wailing, and ran toward me; "Mooooooooom! Don't leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeave meeeeeeeeee!"

Took her by the hand and left the store. Never had that happen again.

But wow! Was that a rough one!

Pony!

11. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I do smile when I see folks going through something that I know I'm not ready to do myself. :) For some reason though...the temper tantrums seem worse in places like Wal-Mart than in the local grocery store. :rolleyes:

12. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Whenever I scowl at a kid throwing a temper tantrum in public (although I do understand that sometimes it's going to happen), the handler invariably makes the statement "He/she missed his nap, and is tired". To which I JUST LOVE TO REPLY......

"He sounds like he needs someone to rock him to sleep.""

Looking around.....

"Anybody got a rock?"

I love the look on their face when I pull that one.... LOL

donsgal

13. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Each one of my children tried this exactly once. They had all seen it work for other kids and threw fits at the register when denied candy. I immediately swatted their behind ONCE and told them we do not behave like that-ever. Then I left the store and all the groceries in the cart. Obviously, if that was how they were going to behave, they were not ready to go shopping with me. Then, they get to stay home with DADDY, while I go back and finish my shopping. Funny how they NEVER did it again. (I used to grocery shop on Sundays-so they got taken home during the Dolphins game.....lol)

I sympathize greatly with moms of little ones who suffer like this in public. On occasion, I have even offerred to hold the child while mom finishes unloading her basket. That usually shuts the kid right up!!! Don't know what they are thinking, but it can't be good. They all look at me like I am from Mars or something. (Don't they know women are from Venus?)

14. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

8 of my 9 children tried it once...
    Each time, I laughed and said *Isnt that the silliest thing I ever saw?* They sheepishly stopped, looked at me, picked themselves up off the floor and slinked away....

my 9th child was different... we finally found he had a chemical imbalance and needed the tantrum(rage) handled medically. We hve been highly criticized for not publically disciplining him during a tantrum but we know our son and have been instructed by his docs to let it blow over and teach him appropriate behavour during neutral moments. You dont always know exactly what you are seeing if you arent actually living with that child.

15. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess I was blessed living when and where I did. My kids all learned I meant it when I said I'd light their butts on fire since I followed through on it. Didn't take long to learn it was easier to listen to what they were told than to try and buck the benevolent despot that was Dad. Oh, and they learned to avoid the most awful torture ever devised by a grown up to counter grocery store tantrums---having to hold onto the grocery cart as we went up and down the aisle.

16. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

with my babies, toddlers I would tie thier shoestrings together so they wouldnt stand up in the seat...

with my 2 1/2- 4 year olds (it really depended on the child) I would put a quarter in thier hand. If they acted up, I took the quarter away. If they still had it when we were leaving the store, they could put it in the vending machine on the way out and get a prize/candy etc.

with my 5+ they walked along with thier hand on the cart... as needed... some of mine were released at about age 7 to follow me but at times, I have my 13 year olds hold the cart, if needed...

17. Mrs. Vet

Mrs. Vet Well-Known Member

We had my young nephew staying with us for a week. The first day he got down on the floor and thru a FIT because he wanted to do something and we said no. So on he yelled and screamed and beat his fists against the floor. We just looked at each other and waited him out. When he finished my husband slowly got up and then laid down on the floor. He then proceeded to throw a fit just like my nephew. When he stopped, he turned and looked my nephew and said "didn't that look stupid and silly?" He didn't throw another fit while he was with us.

18. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

It is amasing how much energy they can get when they want something!
    My boys learned not to do it when I did ti to them...lol. they would throw fits so i just decided to throw my own fit right abck at them in front of everyone. Whiening ,even once I got down in the storeflorr and started kicking my feet and screaming lightly....ROFL. The looks I got from my kids. Funny enough the tantrums ended immediatly! They couldnt beleive their mom woudl act like that...ROFL.
    When I see kids do that to theior parents I try to divert them by letting them know I noticed them and making conversation about other things with them. I have save many moms from grey hairs.

19. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

My sister and I are 20 years apart in age, so I did a lot of the child care when she was little. We were at the mall one day and she decided to throw a hugh tantrum. Yelling and screaming, I said "Judy, you need to stop that right now or I will take you out to the car and put you in the trunk." She kept at it. so I took her by the hand, left my cart, and went out to the car. The closer to the car we got the quieter she got..... I got to the car and opened the trunk, she was silent by now. I said , Judy you need to get in the trunk since you cant behave on your own."
    She looked up at me in the MOST pitiful look only a 2 year old can give and siad, "Sister, dont you love me anymore???" Just so serious...... :)
    I asked her if she thought she could behave, she said yes and truthfully we never had another problem in public!!!!
    And no I didnt put her in the trunk!! LOL
    ALice in Virginia

20. asher

asher Well-Known Member

Yeah, I bet. You're lucky no one has done anything to you yet for saying that about their child. I would be apalled if I heard anyone say that about any child, even the brattiest.